1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help with internet please

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by gfm198, Apr 10, 2013.

1. gfm198

gfm198 Lurker

Hi

I have my first mobile with internet access. I do not have any free data on my contract package.

So can I connect to my Wi-Fi at home and use my mobile without incurring any charges?

If so I would be very very grateful if someone could give me a step by step guide on how to do this.

Thanks in advance

2. Marcha

Marcha Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome here,
    Yes, you can use your wifi at home. It's actually very simple. Go to Settings, Wireless and Networks, Wi-Fi settings, at the top Turn on Wi-Fi, a little lower on the screen Add Wi-Fi network, then add the necessary name and password and bingo.

gfm198 likes this.
  3. gfm198

gfm198 Lurker

Ok, thank you for your quick response.

But forgive me unfortunately modern technology seems to have passed me by!!

What I don't understand is the difference between what my mobile company had offered me, i.e. data and or Wi-Fi.

I choose not to have either of these, so when and how would I incur charges if connecting to my home hub Wi-Fi?

I assumed it would are be free at home and only charged if out and about?

4. ayush29k

ayush29k Android Expert

There are 2 ways you can get internet in your phone, both cost money.
    One is that you connect to your home/office wifi network, you will be charged through your home/office network connection. You may connect as many devices to that wifi network as you want, but they all will be charged into the the main connection.
    The other is your carrier's packet data 2G/3G connection, if you switch it on from the settings menu then your carrier will charge you accordingly, if you don't want to use that, keep it disabled.

If you are in your home/office and a wifi network is available to you, then use the wifi on the phone and keep the packet data off. Its quite simple, you have 2 options, use them according to your needs.

5. Marcha

Marcha Well-Known Member

It's like Ayush mentioned: there are 2 ways to connect. Of course you are paying for your home wifi, but you don't have to set up mobile data for getting connected with your phone. For using your home wifi with your phone you just need your home wifi network name en key.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Ace release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 5MP camera, 278GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1350mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews