1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help with Kies and music management

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Turuyal, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Turuyal

Turuyal Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    Could anyone tell me how to put music on my phone? I realise I could just drag it over to the SD card and it would play, but Kies would be awfully more convenient if it worked. So I plug the phone in, go to music, and there I see all the sounds that the Gameloft games downloaded...everything. I have 7 songs on my phone, yet here I see over 100 files, and it is super annoying...anyway, is it possible to not have these show up? Thanks.

Advertisement

2. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert
    None

May 9, 2011
    Male
    Yorkshire
    There are a lot of different ways in which you can do this.

Sadly, each method is crap.

It does depend on what music software you use on your main computer. I use iTunes on a Mac. It's not supported in any meaningful sense on Android. Some of the file formats (eg Apple Lossless m4a) won't play on Android no matter what you do. Many techniques lose the album art and no technique that I am aware of directly avoids the problem that Android does not support ID3 V2.4 tags so three quarters of your music shows up without proper metadata.

The approaches include
    1. manually mounting the internal drives and copying the music by hand
    2. syncing with a paid product like SyncMate (expensive, doesn't work well)
    3. Syncing iTunes playlists with iSyncr (won't work with all formats, loses large proportion of metadata)
    4. Syncing with DoubleTwist (loses album art and tags for most music but at least does conversion the the fly)

There are probably more approaches but in summary, it's a train wreck compared to the simplicity and ease of using iTunes and an iPhone.

I love my SGS2 but the integration with the desktop is terrible and the most terrible aspect of it, is the way music is handled.

Having said that, MediaFix is a great and free way of getting round the tags issue.

PS If your music collection is tiny (ie small enough to fit on the phone), it's a bit easier as there are approaches that will copy your whole collection across. This doesn't get round the issue of unsupported file and tag formats unfortunately.

3. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

i actually didnt know that android didnt recognize ID3 v2.4 coz i converted my itunes library to ID3 v2.4.. n i also converted all to mp3.. and using itunes agent, it synced perfectly to my SGS2.. all the titles/artists/artwork show perfectly.. on all the music players ive tried.. google music, stock android, doubletwist.. dont use kies, its crap

4. nohurryharry

nohurryharry Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    On wireless router give your phone a fixed IP. Even if you do decide to use Kies this allows you to set a permanent bookmark in your browser for your phone but ......
    Downlod an app called swiFTP from the market - it's free.
    This allows you to run an ftp server on your phone and (in windows 8 at least) you can map a folder link directly to your phone using the IP address. So now I see my phone just like a folder on my PC and I can copy anything to and from. Kies appears only to copy files, not folders, so you might loose the album structure if the tags don't work. But I have a brand new S2 with no music on it. My old phone had a folder called Music on it - does anybody know where this is in Android 2.3?

5. nohurryharry

nohurryharry Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    Depending on your version of android you have to specify the ftp root slightly differently. 2.2 and later (I think) you have to put "/mnt" in front of "/sdcard/". In windows explorer just find your phone by typing in ftp://"your phones ip address":2121 and it will display your phones file structure in a normal window.