1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root Help! with Maps reinstall

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dharlem39, Feb 13, 2011.

1. dharlem39

dharlem39 Lurker

Hi all!

I just got my S Galaxy S from the phone dealer who rooted my phone to the kernel 2.6.32.9 root@SEI-28 #1.
    I was trying to update the maps to the new v5.1.0 on the market now and it kept saying 'package was not signed correctly' since it couldn't install (but COULD download it). After some weak research I was under the impression i should use Root Manager to remove the Maps.apk file and com.google.android.apps.map.apk. Still i could not install the new maps.

Later i find out i had the Brut Map v4.4 and tried installing that and it still does not work. Now i have no maps and cannot install either. A pretty unclean uninstall, i know, but can anyone help me resolve this problem??? Do i still need to remove some other files to uninstall it completely? :(

Thanks everyone!!

Advertisement

2. shaahinjjj

shaahinjjj Well-Known Member

if the phone dealer had only rooted the phone, your kernel would have never changed. He must have done something else. not sure really why .... What you could do is use odin to flash back to your original firmware to get everything working again and of course lose your root, then reroot the phone. Seeing that you've got someone else to root your phone for you, you've got some learning to do ;)

How to use oding to flash back to original firmware: [VIDEO] --- Odin Tutorial --- - xda-developers

Original firmwares: https://www.wuala.com/Samsung Galax...and Odin/Original Firmwares/?key=AfzUZSU4SpKU
    (you might not be able to find all the recent firmware updates here but hell ... you might as well flash a froyo custom rom while your at it huh?)

3. dharlem39

dharlem39 Lurker

Hmm yea that is kinda my last resort. I was hoping there would be a simpler fix without me having to learn all that flashing stuff and risking my phone.
    Thanks anyhow!

Still, if anyone can help, please do! and i can give more info if needed. :eek:

4. shaahinjjj

shaahinjjj Well-Known Member

trust me once you learn "this flashing stuff" you'll thank yourself. It'll make your experience with android a lot more pleasant, well assuming you don't mess up anywhere ;) reach out to me if you have any questions shaahin.flamenco@gmail.com

dharlem39 likes this.
  5. dharlem39

dharlem39 Lurker

alright. i may give it a try. having maps missing is really bugging me. may PM you if i get anxious! thanks