• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with my son's tablet...

azazellee

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Ok. So we got my son a tablet for xmas. A Lexibook Junior Tablet. Since it's an Android we figured we would be able to put some extra apps on it. We'd like to put Netflix on there and any other games we'd think he'd like. The thing has a market, but it is awful and only has certain apps on it. I can't figure out how to get any other marketplace on there. I downloaded the Netflix app and moved it via USB to the tablet but I can't find anyway to install it. From what I've been reading it seems you have to install a file manager to install apps, but there's no way to install a file manager as far as I can tell.

If there's no way to do this, can I somehow just change the entire OS so that the kid-friendly stuff is gone and it can just function as a normal Android tablet?

Make sure that you have already ticked the box in > Settings > Applications (or Security) > Unknown sources.

And then you could try this line in the text (URL) box of your phone's browser ...

file:///sdcard/<your apk file name>

EDIT: ... assuming that your apk file is in the root of SD card.
But you can put in any other folder path.

Good luck :)

Harry

Upvote 0
Hi Azazellee and welcome to Android Forums!

As Harry said, you want a file manager to install apks. Astro or any file explorer should work once "unknown sources" is checked.

Yeah, the Junior Tablet seems pretty limited in what it can load, and I am not sure that Play would even load onto it. In order to change the OS, you would have to root it, install a custom recovery (not sure there even IS one for the Lexibook) and flash a ROM (or custom operating system) that was specifically written for that device. I know that some tablets like the Nexus 7 are very popular and have several good ROMs to choose from: however, I do not know if there is any development in progress for your tablet.

Perhaps someone else can chime in with better news for you. Anyway, it's great to have you here! :)

Upvote 0
Try downloading the 1mobile market which is my preference over Google Play, and includes all their free content. That is if it will let you. It should have a file manager app pre installed already. Use the browser to download the apk and then use the file manager to find it, tap it and it should let you install it.

Also a good alternative market is Amazon AppStore, which is also downloadable via the browser

Netflix only runs on Android 4.0 and up so if the tablet comes with a version such as 2.3 forget Netflix.

If this is that little kids android tablet with the 'mommy and daddy mode' you may not be able to do much except install kiddy games and educational apps without an alternative launcher or some means to access mommy and daddy mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones