• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HELP with new SD card..PLEASE!!!

JaRN99

Android Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2010
I tried to switch to my new SD card today and it didn't work out. My current card is a SanDisk 16 gb and my new one is a Sansumg Pro 64gb.

Here's what I did before I aborted the process.
1: Unmounted current SD card.
2: Put new SD card into phone and format it.
3: Put old SD card into adapter and then plug into desktop computer
4: Connect phone (with new CD card installed) to computer via data cable
5: Located & opened the phone (new SD card) drive on computer
6: Located & opened old SD card (drive F) plugged into computer.
7: Opened drive F (old SD card)...held CTRL button & selected all items
8: Proceeded to copy to new card storage on phone.

After doing all of that it told me it would take 10 hours to do this. Obviously I'm not doing something correct if it said it's going to take 10 hours....I don't have that kind of free time. Can anyone please shed a little light on what I am doing wrong or provide me with the correct way to do this. On my current SD card I have over 500 songs and about 700 pics plus whatever files the phone and apps write on it.

If I understand your description correctly, you are attempting to drag/drop files en-masse from the old sd card to the new one in your phone? If so, that's likely the problem. The phone to pc connection is USB, and the sd reader port on your computer also uses USB interface internally. USB is speed limited and half duplex. It would be faster to copy the files to your computer and then onto the new sd card. It will still awhile… but not 10 hours!

Note: You should continue to configure it as you have (old sd in pc card reader; new sd in phone). If you reverse the process, hidden files (i.e., those prefixed with a dot before the filename) will not be copied.

Upvote 0
No.
1. Plug the old microSD in its adapter into the card reader of your computer. This will ensure that you have full visibility to all files/folders.
2. Copy the card contents to a temporary folder on your computer that you create for this purpose. This will ensure that other files don't get intermingled.
3. Then copy everything from the computer to your newly formatted card in the phone.

Upvote 0
No.
1. Plug the old microSD in its adapter into the card reader of your computer. This will ensure that you have full visibility to all files/folders.
2. Copy the card contents to a temporary folder on your computer that you create for this purpose. This will ensure that other files don't get intermingled.
3. Then copy everything from the computer to your newly formatted card in the phone.

So do this while the new card is in the phone?

Upvote 0
Firstly 10 hours is a Microsoft guess. This will alter drastically during the actual transfer.

Quickest way is to
1. put old card in a card reader and into pc.
2. Create an sdcard folder on your pc.
3. Select all in the old card and copy+ paste into your newly created sdcard folder.
4. During this copy put the new card into phone and format it via the phone settings menu.
5. Once formatted, take out new card.
6. When copy in step 3 finished swap cards in the card reader
7. Select all in sdcard folder and copy+ paste to new card
8. Once complete put new card in phone

Bob's a good un.

Upvote 0
Firstly 10 hours is a Microsoft guess. This will alter drastically during the actual transfer.

Quickest way is to
1. put old card in a card reader and into pc.
2. Create an sdcard folder on your pc.
3. Select all in the old card and copy+ paste into your newly created sdcard folder.
4. During this copy put the new card into phone and format it via the phone settings menu.
5. Once formatted, take out new card.
6. When copy in step 3 finished swap cards in the card reader
7. Select all in sdcard folder and copy+ paste to new card
8. Once complete put new card in phone

Bob's a good un.

Thanks....I appreciate it. Question though...what's the easiest way to move the items around. I believe it said I have over 150 items on the card so initially I was just holding down "CNTL" and selecting then all....then it was right click on the field & copy all to the desktop folder. Forgive me if I seem a little dumb with this. I know just enough about computers to typically lock one up from time to time....lol.

Upvote 0
Yes, with the old card being read in the computer, click once on any file you want to copy. it will become highlighted. Then, press and hold the Ctrl key and tap the A key (control+A)

it will select ALL

Then right click on any of the selected files and when the drop down menu appears, select COPY

Then go to the new folder you made on the computer and in it, right click on the blank folder and select PASTE

That's the shortcut way to do copy/paste.

It might give you a big wait time in the beginning, but it usually gets down to a smaller more realistic wait for the job to complete.... Go have a cup of coffee :>)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones