1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help with possible s6 repair con.

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by bossrat, Aug 19, 2016.

1. bossrat

bossrat Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2016
    Male
    Please can anybody with experience of galaxy s6 repair help.
    A couple of weeks ago I turned of my s6 one night, next morning I tried to turn it on but it wouldn't, it was completely unresponsive, black screen no lights, the phone has never been dropped or damaged in anyway or been anywhere near water.
    When it was switched off the battery was almost fully charged, so I knew it wasn't a dead battery but I tried the charger anyway. There was no charging light and the back of the phone near the rear camera got quite hot within a couple of minutes. I tried a soft reset but it didn't work.
    So then I took it to a local phone shop for repair. The guy in the shop said that he'll send the phone of the workshop for a diagnostic. Anyway he called up and said the motherboard is faulty and needed to replaced. Now he phoned up again and the guy who is fixing the phone is now saying the screen also needs to be replaced, apparently the backlight is not working. Now I know amoled screens do not have any backlight, so I asked him what exactly is wrong with the screen as it's a amoled screen it doesn't have a back light, he said he doesn't know just the engineer said the backlight doesn't work. He said the repair would cost £149.
    My question can a faulty motherboard damage the screen? is he what he is saying plausible or is he trying a con?
    Thanks in advance for any reply's.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It sounds a bit of a coincidence. I'm sure that the alternative (screen damaged by the repairer) has occurred to you, but I don't know how you could prove it.

I'm not going to say that it's impossible for a motherboard failure to damage the screen, as I don't know enough to say that (e.g. could a faulty board overload something in the screen too?). Just that this does sound like a motherboard failure, and two independent spontaneous faults is unlikely, which leaves one causing the other, a third factor causing both, or something being damaged during the repair. You'd need someone who knows their stuff looking at the actual phone to have a chance of saying which it was.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  3. bossrat

bossrat Lurker
    None

Aug 19, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking, that the repairer damaged the display while he was repairing the phone. The phone was working perfectly all I did was turn the phone off one night, wasn't plugged into the charger or anything, left it on my desk like I do every night and the next morning it was just wouldn't turn on. I can accept that somehow the motherboard may be faulty but a perfectly working display to also die simultaneously seems odd. I am suspicious that as the display on my phone was in perfect condition, not a single mark or scratch on it, he can say it was replaced when it wasn't and it would look cosmetically same as a new display. Is there any way I can verify that the display had been replaced without opening the phone?

4. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    IT tech here
    I smell some fish in Denmark
    The motherboard is bad it seems, it won't turn on is a good symptom.
    But that didn't damage the screen.