1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help with rom and sd card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Spec-Kie, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Spec-Kie

Spec-Kie Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    MHSW
    North East UK.
    hey guys .. back again.lol. i could really do with some help please, cant decide what rom to use have try cm7 and it came up with a error my sd card was damaged, i am using revolutionarys recovery atm, also i want to partition my sd card to elliminate the daft 'internal storage prolem' do i flsh a new rom first then partition or do i partition first then flash? and can some one point me in right direction on a guide to do the partitioning?? cheeers guys..

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Partition first. Remember that it's likely to wipe the card, so back everything up before you start partitioning.

The best partitioning tool is GParted. There's a video guide to using via a virtual machine this linked in the All Things Root Guide sticky post in this forum. The root memory FAQ, linked in the same sticky post, will also have some good advice on this.

4Ext can actually partition the card itself, and probably does a better job of it than most recoveries (e.g. it can test for and correct partition alignment, which most recoveries get wrong if you use them to partition).

Avoid Minitool Partition Wizard - you will find guides that recommend it on the web, and all I can say is that the charitable assumption is that they know no better. We've had a lot of people with problems after using MiniTool, and which have been fixed by repartitioning with a better tool, so I think it better not to use it in the first place.

Remember that CM7 doesn't have the script that will use the partition built in. You need to either add this yourself (there should be a link in the CM7 thread at XDA), or you can use an app called Simple2Ext which you install from the Play Store (only works with CM7).

3. Spec-Kie

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    MHSW
    North East UK.
    right im just in the middled of downloading gparted now, once i have done that boot it up and partition the drive yeah?? after i have done this do i just add my rom same way as before and the phone will automatically save apps to the partition? or will i need to do this my self ? sorry if i am nooby, if i use oxygen rom with apps2sd for instance will this solve prolem with internal mem??

4. Hadron

VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Oxygen will use the partition automatically.

With CM7 it depends how you do it. If you use Simple2Ext it won't use the partition until you install and run that app. If you use the a2sd add-on then if you flash that after flashing the ROM, but before rebooting, it will probably do it automatically, or at worst you'll have to open a terminal emulator and type a couple of commands like:

su
    a2sd install

With CM7 you also need to flash another file if you want google apps (including the Play Store). It's ironic that the best know ROM, and hence one that people often try first, needs more setting up than most (not including google apps is the result of an early legal dispute between google and the CM team). So if you just want to do a single install and go then Oxygen would be simpler.

5. Spec-Kie

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    MHSW
    North East UK.
    yeah thats what i think i will do. myabe you could help me again here im trying to boot gparted on my xp machine, not working, dont know y. downloaded the file straight to the disk and exracted it there and then restarted =machine but nothing, any ideas?

6. Hadron

VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You need to either use it to make a bootable cd or usb stick or make a virtual machine from it. There are some outline instructions here, and links to guides for doing it via a virtual machine in the ATR sticky post. You do need to use the iso to make a bootable cd, not simply copy the file to cd. I'm not a big windows user, so not sure what the best tool for making a bootable CD is (Nero tools come to mind for some reason, but googling "burn bootable cd iso" should turn up some suggestions). I expect something like unetbootin could be used to make a bootable usb stick using it.

It's a linux tool, so I personally just use linux to run it - it's a part of most linux distros.

7. Spec-Kie

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    MHSW
    North East UK.
    im really sorry for my nooby questions lol got it sorted now , when i partitioned my card 8 gig one its had the message again sd damaged format now and it took the partition out. does this mean i have koed my card?

8. Spec-Kie

None

Jan 17, 2013
    Male
    MHSW
    North East UK.
    Hi mate imback again now, I have rooted partitioned my sd card and i have a custom recovery (its the one that Revolutionary installed) , now i want to add my custom rom?.. I cant find or dont know how to search for a rom i want one that is fast and stable, And one that i can install straight away first time and one that will reconise my partition outmatically, That will be Oxygen yeah? could you be so kind and show me link for the download pleasE?

9. Hadron

VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Wow, it seems that the Oxygen forum has been taken offline sometime in the last few months (it's been a while since I looked)! A couple of XDA members have posted download links in this thread though: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076596.

Otherwise, the All Things Root Guide sticky post has a link to the XDA thread that provides an index of Desire ROMs. MildWild over at XDA has been making ROMs based on Oxygen and Redux2, which would be alternatives, and a CM-based ROM which includes the apps2sd stuff built in, and there should be links to those ROMs in that thread.

Tags: