• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help with root

I've rooted an LG Optimus V before, but either a few things have changed since then or I'm forgetting something. Either way, I have curiosities and concerns that I hope someone could clarify for me, essentially, break it down into layman's terms for me.

I'm looking at two different ROMs, Mobster ROM HD and Mobsterz/unSENSEable v1.1 ... if I'm not mistaken (which I'd greatly like to know if I am) they require the same kernel be used during flash

They look very much the same, and it seems the only difference is the removal of this Sense (another thing of which I'm unsure of)

Mobster ROM HD requires S-OFF, Mobsterz/unSENSEable v1.1 can be done with 4EXT.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful, but the question I need answered specifically, is can I follow the "Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot" to flash either of these ROMs (instead of the stock ROM listed in the guide), or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

UPDATE:
I read about HTC Sense 4.0 ... now that I know what it is, should I go with the true dual core ROM that keeps it, or removes it? I figure HTC won't have a good rebuttal listed.

I've rooted an LG Optimus V before, but either a few things have changed since then or I'm forgetting something. Either way, I have curiosities and concerns that I hope someone could clarify for me, essentially, break it down into layman's terms for me.

I'm looking at two different ROMs, Mobster ROM HD and Mobsterz/unSENSEable v1.1 ... if I'm not mistaken (which I'd greatly like to know if I am) they require the same kernel be used during flash

They look very much the same, and it seems the only difference is the removal of this Sense (another thing of which I'm unsure of)

Mobster ROM HD requires S-OFF, Mobsterz/unSENSEable v1.1 can be done with 4EXT.

Any and all suggestions would be helpful, but the question I need answered specifically, is can I follow the "Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot" to flash either of these ROMs (instead of the stock ROM listed in the guide), or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

UPDATE:
I read about HTC Sense 4.0 ... now that I know what it is, should I go with the true dual core ROM that keeps it, or removes it? I figure HTC won't have a good rebuttal listed.

I built Mobsterz/unSENSEable v1.1 from Mobster's Rom. I shrunk it quite a bit and removed the memory/battery hog "sense". It runs smooth with great battery life. just look at the personal testimonials

Upvote 0
Very informative, thank you all for your help.

:party:

UPDATE:

Alright, more questions. Sorry, I have a pretty good idea how to do this but I need to be absolutely sure.

I'm going to use Mobsterz unSENSEable v1.1 ROM ... what's the order of operations?

My problem is I'm having "which came first, the chicken or the egg" thoughts about installing Mobsterz unSENSEable v1.1, which will require 4EXT, which to my knowledge, is an app.

I'm thinking the order will have to be: root the phone > install 4EXT > flash Mobsterz unSENSEable v1.1 and Mobsterz Power Kernel = done

Upvote 0
Very informative, thank you all for your help.

:party:

UPDATE:

Alright, more questions. Sorry, I have a pretty good idea how to do this but I need to be absolutely sure.

I'm going to use Mobsterz unSENSEable v1.1 ROM ... what's the order of operations?

My problem is I'm having "which came first, the chicken or the egg" thoughts about installing Mobsterz unSENSEable v1.1, which will require 4EXT, which to my knowledge, is an app.

I'm thinking the order will have to be: root the phone > install 4EXT > flash Mobsterz unSENSEable v1.1 and Mobsterz Power Kernel = done

Root first, then install the 4ext app then you can flash. There's also a feature on 4ext called smart flash which let's you also flash the kernel if you're s on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones