1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help with Rooted TB problem. (OTA Update)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jdmacri, Jul 15, 2011.

1. jdmacri

jdmacri Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Ok everyone, I know since I rooted my TB I'm not supposed to install OTA updates, however I was not paying attention and I accidentally did. After the update, it would try to install the update that show an error.

If I reset the phone, it would start up for a second and then shut down. I trying restoring it and installing the zip file from the sd card, but it would keep failing to install.

I then cleared the cache and reset it, and it is working fine, but when I check the status of the software update is says "Update Failed".

It seems to be working fine, but I don't know whats going to happen when I restart the phone or it may turn off on its own, any suggestions on what to do?

Advertisement

2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    This should be moved to the all things root section.

Are you still rooted? Test an app that requires superuser. You may be able to follow the manual root method to get back root and ability to flash if it has been lost.

3. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Male
    Virginia
    i have moved your thread to the All things root section, hopefully your answer can be found, i have not messed with an htc but it seems like you may need to restore the previous version of your phone

i know the DX has an SBF file which we flash whenever we make mistakes and it doesnt boot, there may be something similar in nature for the TB, but regardless i hope your answer is found soon.

4. jdauriemma

jdauriemma Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Made the same mistake... Try wiping your cache. My phone recovered nicely after a cache wipe and reboot.

5. jdmacri

jdmacri Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Ok so using root checker it says that I still have root access, and that's what I did, I cleared the cache and it seems to be working fine but its not updated, I want to update it because of the random restarts

6. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    assuming you were on mr1 or leaked mr2,youll just need to go to the "rooted OTA" a few down to get the download link for xda. flash the radio in hboot,flash the rom in recovery,and voila! it will be just like you accepted the official OTA :cool:

7. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    scotty85 likes this.
  8. jdmacri

jdmacri Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the help, I'm updating now.

9. jdmacri

jdmacri Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    Ok so I flashed the radio and rom but now I have lost root access. Any suggestions?

10. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    further explain that you "have lost root acess". is one particular app tellng you youre not rooted? is the superuser app in your app drawer still? if it is,open it and see what apps are listed and make sure they all have a green + next to them,and not a red -.

if you got the links from yeahhas link you should be fine,but if you got the links elsewhere,how big was the radio file? if was bigger thaN about 25 mb(like almost 400mb :eek:) then you may have flashed the whole leaked RUU instead of just the radio.

so just to confirm:
    1)you flashed the rooted OTA rom in recovery
    2)you flashed a 25ish mb radio in hboot

are both of those correct?

11. qw12

qw12 Lurker
    None

Jul 25, 2011
    This may sound really really stupid but how do I clear the cache after I made the same mistake as the OPs? Every time I turn my thunderbolt on it just restarts automatically and tries to update and it gets stuck on the ! screen every time.

12. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    gah! when will people stop getting fudged up with this... we have put up warnings in every place we can. im not trying to pick on you,but you and everyone else who is rooted need to realize that you need to do some research about being rooted,and then "keep up with the times" so to speek and install the newest,speically prepaired OTAs in RECOVERY,not as an OTA to your phone.

OTAs from verizon need the stock recovery to install them. trying to accept the OTA with your rooted phone/clockwork recovery can lead from anything from a harmless failed attempt,to a bootloop,to a BRICKED DEVICE.(yes this CAN potentially turn your phone into an expensive paperweight)

lecture aside heres what you need to do:
    -pull your SD card,put it in a card reader and stick it into your PC. delete the PG05IMG file that is prolly left over from rooting,since you prolly forgot to remove it.
    -put the sd card back on the phone.
    - power on while holding volume down. this will take you to hboot(white screen with colored letters)
    -select recovery with volume rocker and power button. this will take you to cockwork recovery(black screen orange letters)
    -select wipe cache
    -select advanced,then wipe dalvik cache
    -go back and reboot system

this should get your phone working again. if not youll have to either restore a backup,or flash a new rom and radio in recovery in order to get it working.

id strongly reccomend that you flash the MR2 rooted rom in the link above so thAt youre on themost current,rooted firmware and your phone wont try and update itself. youll need to download the rom and radio,you can find directions on making a backup of your apps with titanium backup,how to flash the radios in hboot,and how to flash a rom in recovery all in the how to sticky: http://androidforums.com/thunderbolt-all-things-root/353591-how-some-root-terminology.html

if this is all too much for you(not YOU personally,you=anyone reading) you may want to consider unrooting if you dont want to keep on top of the updates and manually flash them to keep this from happening.