• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help with rooting....

Ok I know the rooting help question has been asked but I haven't found a clear answer on some of the questions I have been looking for so I'll ask and maybe someone can help me.

Ok a little back story of info so it will be easier for someone to help answer my question more effectively. I have the htc eris 2.1 ota update already added to the phone so I wanna make sure that even though I have already updated I can still root.

So can I still root with me already updating to the 2.1 OTA or do I have to roll back to stock 1.5?

Secondly on the rooting section guide there is Pre-Requisite area but on the xda-developers.com website you do this step second not 1st which is it do you do the pre-requisite 1st or second or do you root the phone with the PB00IMG.zip first?

Third I have tried going to the IRC clients to get rooting help but nobody is any of the channels/chatrooms listed. I obviously don't wanna brick my phone so I need help because I'm a newbie. So when is anybody in there to help normally?

Fourth which file was taken down from the root guide section to be worked on bc of bugs?

I have many more questions like is the PB00IMG.zip the same file as the leak? Or is the official img for the 2.1 ota root?

Sorry I'm asking so many questions it would be a lot easier if I new more about this, but sadly I'm new to droid smartphones. Would like personal help if possible to walk me step by step. Please Help!!

Oh one more question: What's the best rom for live wallpapers and overclocking?

Hi djkoz.

I read your post and it occurred to me right away that you'll probably benefit more from reading in the "all things root" thread: All Things Root (Eris) - Android Forums for your answers.

That area has a wealth of info about rooting and is a gathering place for those opting to root their devices, new users as well as those very experienced.

Have fun and good luck.

Upvote 0
So can I still root with me already updating to the 2.1 OTA or do I have to roll back to stock 1.5? Yes

Secondly on the rooting section guide there is Pre-Requisite area but on the xda-developers.com website you do this step second not 1st which is it do you do the pre-requisite 1st or second or do you root the phone with the PB00IMG.zip first? It doesn't matter which is done first. Installing the PB00img.zip is the easiest part. The SDk is needed for to install Amon's recovery which comes after installing the zip file.

Third I have tried going to the IRC clients to get rooting help but nobody is any of the channels/chatrooms listed. I obviously don't wanna brick my phone so I need help because I'm a newbie. So when is anybody in there to help normally? Try posting these questions in here

Fourth which file was taken down from the root guide section to be worked on bc of bugs? This was an easier automated way of rooting, don't know when this will be back.

I have many more questions like is the PB00IMG.zip the same file as the leak? Or is the official img for the 2.1 ota root? The file is only for getting you rooted so that you can install Amon's recovery. Once you have Amon's recovery you can flash whichever rooted rom you want from the all-things-root section. Don'r stay on the intial PB00IMG since it's only for root and running it on a daily basis is buggy.

Oh one more question: What's the best rom for live wallpapers and overclocking? Most roms have options for LWP but you need to research each rom first to fit your needs.

See answers above.

Reactions: djkoz78
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones