1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Help with S-off on HTC One M8 (3 UK)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by marktully, Nov 10, 2014.

1. marktully

marktully Lurker

I have been following this guide to try to convert my HTC One M8 (3 UK) running 4.4.4 into the Google Play Edition:

First I unlocked the bootloader using this.

Then I tried to get S-off using this.

I have successfully flashed the InsertCoin ROM but Firewater won't work.

I also tried RomRunner to no avail.

I tried Sunshine and it said:

"Incompatible

Sunshine can not be used on your device. If you are using an HTC device, flash a stock sense, or near stock rom."

Can anyone advise?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Did you install a custom recovery and do a nandroid of stock before flashing insertion? Sunshine should work but you'll need to get back to a stock or very close to stock Rom first.

3. marktully

marktully Lurker

I'm quite inexperienced with this so no I didn't, I just followed those guides step by step.

What do you mean install a custom recovery and do a nandroid?

4. saltire

saltire Android Expert

TWRP is the custom recovery in the guide you followed to unlock bootloader. This allows you to do a full backup of your phone - what's commonly referred to as a nandroid backup. If you followed the guide you should have TWRP installed, and if you didn't do a stock backup in TWRP you can try another ROM that's close to stock (not sure what to recommend though as I s-off'd mine while on stock). There is also a collection of stock backups on xda in Mr Hoffs thread, but I'm not sure if you might run in to problems if you have firmware more up to date than the software versions in that thread.

What I'd also say is if you're not up to speed with this, take the time to research and read up. Whilst having s-off is very useful, just remember this means you will have removed a major security safety function from phone. If you make a mistake flashing a corrupt img or the wrong image to the wrong partition you'll can end up with an expensive paper weight. The stickied posts here are a good place to start.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews