• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with several different settings

jpetersen5

Nov 2, 2009
Hi,
I am a former D1 user that just received a D2. Trying to get it setup in the best manner possible for battery life, etc...but also to keep things how I am used to and at times need...

I dug around for answers to these questions, but haven't found concrete answers yet...If someone could kindly suggest the best setup/preferences/settings, etc...that would be great.

1. I would like my battery to last as long as possible, obviously, but at the same time, I need to have emails coming through even when the phone is "sleeping". If I utilize the max battery saver, it says that it will turn data off after 15 minutes...will this turn off my gmail/touchdown syncing as well, or just web, etc...?

2. I saw somewhere that a setting to use would be to set Motorola Aps to only sync over wifi? I always have wifi off, but figure I don't need motorola aps to sync anyway (do I?) I'm using 1 gmail account, 1 Touchdown exchange account and have my facebook account setup thru blur so that my contacts can have pictures. Not sure what motorola aps are even trying to sync.

3. I tried to just install the FB ap and sync just my contacts that match as I was able to on my D1, but that doesn't seem to work with the D2. FB will show 2 entries under accounts, 1 being the blur facebook login and the other the ap, but when I click the ap icon, it doesn't do anything. Is there no where to actually select sync only those people in my contacts?

4. I have several people in my contact list that are facebook friends with different facebook names. On my D1, I was able to add all my facebook contacts to my contacts and then join those two contacts together and then go back to just those contacts that match and they would stay joined and show as the google name. When I do this on the D2, the name will show the Facebook name, which is sometimes kinda bizarre. How can I make it so that they are joined, but they use the Google name when displaying the contact?

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

I am not sure about the syncing and wifi stuff.... I have my battery set to custom, with syncing set to 30 mins during peak hours and 15 at night. My battery lasts all day with moderate-heavy use.

As far as FB, I too came from a D1 and I was able to chose my contact, then under menu there is a "link" option. Select that then select the FB account when the list comes up, it will then link the contact your inputted with the FB user. HTH.

Upvote 0
After 30 minutes during the day, do you still get notifications of emails or is that what is turned off?

I was able to link contacts to their facebook contact without a problem, but let's say their name is Jim Smith (so this is what my Google contact shows for them), but on Facebook they go by Jimbo Smith (or something). When I link the 2, the name that shows on my contact list is always the FB name, not the google name.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, I have made several calls to Verizon about this issue and here is the skinny.

Verizon does not see this as an issue with them. Motorola did not upgrade the battery to accommodate the power of the D2, Thus forcing us to but the extended life battery for an additional cost.

The technician said there has not been an public outcry like the iPhone for Motorola to change it out.

We again are being used as Ginnie Pigs for their development....

I have tried everything all the forums have suggested with little results, But remember we purchased these phones to do ALL the functions that now we are trying to turn off...

We all need to tell them where to stick it. It shouldn't cost us $50.00 extra to make our phone work...

I love this forum but we need to stand up...

Thanks
Frustrated D user...

Upvote 0
I go all day w/out issue on the standard battery (actually using my old battery from my D1)...data set to time out after 15 minutes 24/7 via custom battery profile.

I don't use the Blur widgets, but have 6 home screens on my Launcher Pro home screen replacement with launcher pro and android widgets on every page.

GPS/BT/Wifi on pretty much all the time...on wifi networks at work and home, and GPS only kicks in when I use nav, which is infrequently (and in that case I'd be in the car and on power anyway).

Battery lasts longer than it did on my D1. Not seeing a general issue w/D2 and battery life....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones