• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help with super one click

Welcome to androidforums, and I hope I can be of help. Before we start I need to know which version of the Atrix you have (AT&T, Bell, Orange...) and which version of the firmware are you running. However my answer works for all versions.

From your description, it sounds like you have an AT&T Atrix and on 4.1.83 (menu --> settings --> about phone --> Build number)

If you are on the AT&T Atrix and running 4.1.83, the only root method that works is gingerbreak. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum.

http://androidforums.com/atrix-4g-a...turn-stock-other-hacks-atrix.html#post2598683

Upvote 0
Welcome to androidforums, and I hope I can be of help. Before we start I need to know which version of the Atrix you have (AT&T, Bell, Orange...) and which version of the firmware are you running. However my answer works for all versions.

From your description, it sounds like you have an AT&T Atrix and on 4.1.83 (menu --> settings --> about phone --> Build number)

If you are on the AT&T Atrix and running 4.1.83, the only root method that works is gingerbreak. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum.

http://androidforums.com/atrix-4g-a...s-all-versions-no-need-flash-back-needed.html

I am having the exact same issue. I just got my update today.

I have a Bell Atrix, running Build Number OLYLA_U4_0.37.23

This is my first smart phone ever (had it only 2-3 weeks), and all my friends told me I needed to root it immediately! I (somehow!) managed to get it rooted using SuperOneClick, but haven't had any luck since I upgraded.

Any help you are able to offer is *GREATLY* appreciated, and I ask that any instructions you offer me are of the "for dummies" variety.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same issue. I just got my update today.

I have a Bell Atrix, running Build Number OLYLA_U4_0.37.23

This is my first smart phone ever (had it only 2-3 weeks), and all my friends told me I needed to root it immediately! I (somehow!) managed to get it rooted using SuperOneClick, but haven't had any luck since I upgraded.

Any help you are able to offer is *GREATLY* appreciated, and I ask that any instructions you offer me are of the "for dummies" variety.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like they killed the root exploit used by one click on the non-AT&T Atrix as well. So give gingerbreak a try. Info on how in the 1st post of this thread:
http://androidforums.com/atrix-4g-a...turn-stock-other-hacks-atrix.html#post2598683

Now a quick question, I know your friends told you to root, but did you need it and do you still need it? If not, than I would not worry about it.

Reactions: Kulstad
Upvote 0
Looks like they killed the root exploit used by one click on the non-AT&T Atrix as well. So give gingerbreak a try. Info on how in the 1st post of this thread:

Now a quick question, I know your friends told you to root, but did you need it and do you still need it? If not, than I would not worry about it.

I didn't think I needed to root in the first place, but I was *really* upset with the lack of battery life on the Atrix, as well as some of the useless (to me) applications on it that I couldn't uninstall (Uno, QuickOffice, etc). Reading these forums led me to this link, and Titanium Pro seemed to be the solution (well, only partially. The battery seemed to last a little longer, but not much. Sadly, Titanium Pro needs root and superuser.

I am always cautious when it comes to non-standard usage of things, especially expensive and nice things like this Atrix. I have heard horror stories about how people have accidentally bricked their new phones, and I never want to be "that guy".

There is so much to learn about this phone, and I find myself overwhelmed at times when it comes to learning about everything it does.

Upvote 0

I just finished following the directions at that link you gave me. I was able to get GingerBreak installed on my phone, but I can't seem to get rooted. I've downloaded the APK from this link, but no dice. According to Knightdulac on this page of the forums, s/he was able to get it work, and s/he has the same phone and version as I do. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong now.

Sincerely, I have no idea why this has to be so difficult, or why it is so difficult and dangerous to either "performance tune" a phone, or to jump through all these hoops just to get a battery to last longer than 4 hours.

(sorry about the whining. told ya I was a n00b at this :eek: )

Upvote 0
I just finished following the directions at that link you gave me. I was able to get GingerBreak installed on my phone, but I can't seem to get rooted. I've downloaded the APK from this link, but no dice. According to Knightdulac on this page of the forums, s/he was able to get it work, and s/he has the same phone and version as I do. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong now.

Sincerely, I have no idea why this has to be so difficult, or why it is so difficult and dangerous to either "performance tune" a phone, or to jump through all these hoops just to get a battery to last longer than 4 hours.

(sorry about the whining. told ya I was a n00b at this :eek: )

It's ok, everyone was a n00b once :)

Anyways, so what happens when you run the app? Does it reboot, also, how many times did you run the app?

Upvote 0
It's ok, everyone was a n00b once :)

Anyways, so what happens when you run the app? Does it reboot, also, how many times did you run the app?

When I run GingerBreak on my phone, I first get a warning screen:
"Please make sure of the following before rooting:
- You have an SD card inserted and mounted
- USB debugging is on"

I've searched my entire phone, and the only thing that even remotely looks like an SD card is the white Bell chip behind my battery. I believe that's the SIM card.

I *do* have USB debugging turned on.

I click the OK button at the bottom of the warning window, and press the ROOT DEVICE option. From there I get a "this may take a few minutes" window, and a swirling graphic on the right-hand side of the window. From there, it seems to just hang. I've waited upwards of 45 minutes for something to happen (a reboot, a "this isn't going to work" message...anything!) but nothing does.

I've powered off completely, I've removed the battery, I've tried it with my phone plugged in (via USB) to my computer, and I've tried it without the phone being plugged into anything.

Given the amount of success stories I've read, I'm almost positive it's something I'm doing wrong, I just don't know what.:thinking:

Upvote 0
A little more info. To gain root access on an android phone, you need to be to able edit the main system folders, which are locked, so we use a file/app that creates a backdoor (known as an exploit) to temporarily unlock the system file and then it places a file called SU (which gives you access to the system folder) in one of the system folders. Once the SU file is in there, and you have superuser app installed, you have root access.

Super One click used an exploit that did not need an sdcard to work. Well Motorola fixed that exploit so it no longer works. So a very skilled programmer found a new exploit and created gingerbreak to use this new back door. The downside is this exploit requires an sdcard. So once you have an sdcard, jus run the app, you do not need to reinstall it.

Upvote 0
A little more info. To gain root access on an android phone, you need to be to able edit the main system folders, which are locked, so we use a file/app that creates a backdoor (known as an exploit) to temporarily unlock the system file and then it places a file called SU (which gives you access to the system folder) in one of the system folders. Once the SU file is in there, and you have superuser app installed, you have root access.

Super One click used an exploit that did not need an sdcard to work. Well Motorola fixed that exploit so it no longer works. So a very skilled programmer found a new exploit and created gingerbreak to use this new back door. The downside is this exploit requires an sdcard. So once you have an sdcard, jus run the app, you do not need to reinstall it.

I think I have one more issue, and everything will be fine. I can't seem to press the THANKS button more than once!

Thank you for your patience and guidance through this. I picked up a 4GB Lexar MicroSD card ($9 at FutureShop!), and installed it in the store. I tried GingerBreak right away, and in less than 5 minutes I was rooted.

Reactions: james27007
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones