• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with transferring everything onto new phone

G3zz

Lurker
Sep 14, 2011
Basically I got this phone last week, but its a bit faulty so im sending back and getting an exact replacement.

The courier will be swapping the old phone with box for the new box on the spot, so I won't be able to transfer texts and contacts etc via bluetooth like I did for this phone. The sd card will be returned as well so probably no chance of swapping it on the spot.

Is there any way I can transfer literally everything I have on my current phone with everything the same as before onto the new one? Photos and music is no problem, its just mainly the apps texts and contacts I want to keep. I've tried HTC sync but it doesnt have what I need.

If I copy everything on my SD card onto PC and paste exactly as it is back onto the new SD card will this work? How much of the phone's information is kept on the actual phone and how much is on the external card?

I've been spending ages trying all sorts of things so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Copying and then pasting back the contents of your old SD card to your new one isn't going to work. There is no way to copy everything from your current phone to your new one, either, unless you root it. And, if you left it rooted for the pick up, then your carrier or HTC could well ask for your new one back or charge you for it, as you will have invalidated the old one's warranty.

There are apps like MyBackup Pro which will back up and restore most of the file types you require, but not installed apps. To back up and restore all installed apps successfully you'd need to root your phone. (Don't rely on the MyBackup trial version as you will not be able to restore the back-up to a different phone.)

So, for apps, I'd make a list of what you have and just reinstall them from Android Market.

There are free apps that cater for the back-up of particular content, like SMS and Outlook (non-cloud) contacts/calendars.

Contact and calendar information that's kept in the 'cloud', e.g. Google contact and calendar, Facebook, etc, can be re-synced to your new phone when you enter the account details.

Contacts can also be copied/exported to any SD card; it doesn't have to be the one you exclusively use for your phone. If you only have the one in the phone, then you can copy the contacts to your PC then back onto your new SD card when you get it. If you have contacts from different accounts on your phone, then you'll need to export one for each account. You'll see the location of the contacts file when you export it. People > Menu > Import/Export and follow the instructions.

Finally, if you have a branded phone, then your carrier may have installed an app that will back-up your contacts to their server.

Reactions: G3zz
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, the SMS backup and contact export worked fine so thats all sorted, and re-downloading all the apps again.

I did try copying the contents of the sd card across and like you said it doesnt pick up the apps on the phone as "apps". Pity it doesnt work because that really would save a lot of time and hassle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones