• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help with tv out

joshgs4

Jun 24, 2013
Need help figuring out how to get my s4 to put video out thru 3.5mm to rca or if its even capable? I have the cable and website said its for s4 but all im gettin is sound... no picture? Is there something ive missed I need to turn on? Ive searched and searched but come up with nothin

Need help figuring out how to get my s4 to put video out thru 3.5mm to rca or if its even capable? I have the cable and website said its for s4 but all im gettin is sound... no picture? Is there something ive missed I need to turn on? Ive searched and searched but come up with nothin

I think you may have gotten bad info on that product. What's the link to where you bought it? As far as I know you have to have the MHL adapter for HDMI out.

Amazon.com: OEM Samsung Galaxy S4 HDTV to MHL Adapter (ET-H10FAUWEGWW): Cell Phones & Accessories

Upvote 0
A 3.5mm to RCA cable is very handy, but I don't think it does what you think it does. At least not in this case. Tell me what the colors on the RCA end are. Is it just red and white? That's only for audio. Which if the TV/ DVD deck in your truck is the only AUX input you have-- that's the way to go to play audio from your phone (music player/ streaming radio) on your stereo system. It's how I have my parents' Excursion set up for them.

A 3.5mm to RCA cable is certainly capable of delivering video. Many consumer video cameras used this port scheme. If the cable supported that, you'd see three rings on the 3.5mm side, and also a yellow plug on the RCA side. But to the best of my knowledge, the S4 (nor any other Android device) doesn't deliver video from the mini jack. Just from the micro USB port, which requires an MHL adapter.

Does the deck in your truck have an HDMI input? If it's not fairly new, it probably doesn't. If that's the case, then getting video to it isn't going to be easy. You can't directly convert an HDMI plug (digital) to RCA (analog). It requires a powered conversion box to covert the signal that costs probably a couple hundred bucks.

Back to the audio-only talk, if you're liking streaming music or playing music from your phone in your stereo, I know an extra device that you might like. It's called TuneLink. Basically, it plugs into your power point in your vehicle.. it looks like a typical phone charger with a USB plug (and can be used as one-- just not for quick charge). Your phone connects to it through bluetooth. Then it has a 3.5mm output on it. So the chain goes

Phone audio ---(through bluetooth)---> Tunelink ---(through 3.5mm to RCA plug)---> AUX input on your truck

TuneLink Auto hardware accessory for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad

I recommend the "iPhone" model with the blue light, over the "Android" green light model. There's not really a difference.

Upvote 0
The cable has 3 plugs red white and yellow. My truck tv only has rca aux input and usb input. Looks like im ganne have to get mhl adapter then go from that to hdmi to rca converter just to make it work. Or I can just use my iphone like ive always done and just hotspot my s4 for internet for my iphone which ive tried and its not to reliable at times cuttin in and out. I have ipod video hooked up for music, also the unit has built in blue tooth so I bluetooth pandora or whatever I wanna listen to. Maybe they will hurry up and come out with mini usb to rca cable but im not sure thats even possible being that it would some how have to convert it from digital to analoge in the cable?
Ive looked into the adapters and converters I need and I can be in it for under $100 but im not sure the picture would look worth a shit. My iphone on the other hand looked extreamly good. Maybe I shoulda stuck with apple and not went to the s4 huh? I sure woulda thought this bein "the best" phone out I could acheive what I wanted without all the adapters and converters!

Upvote 0
Well really your S4 has the newer, better technology. It's your truck that has the older, more inferior technology specs. Obviously, it's not possible to get a new vehicle every time you get a new phone. It would be nice to be that well off, though. lol.

To expand on that, the S4 has HDMI out, using a pretty simple plug. HDMI is digital, HD, and does sound and picture in one. It's what all of the modern TVs have, and often computer monitors, too. The composite (RCA yellow, red, and white) connection is analog, requires several plugs, and is only SD. You need two more RCA plugs for it to become an HD signal. And the 3.5mm mini jack can't carry HD to the best of my knowledge. It usually is a proprietary jack (and cable) if a product needs to put out component from a small port.

And I might be wrong, but I think that the modern iPhones only do digital video out through the 30-pin or Thunderbolt port. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's the case. So I can't speak as to whether you might have been better with an iPhone or not-- that's a personal decision. But this is a bad example to base it on.

This, or something similar is what you'd need. From the reviews, it sounds like image quality is pretty good.

HDMI to 3RCA+Audio+Video/S-video Adapter for PS3 DVD - Newegg.com

Plus an MHL adapter. I'm not sure if this has to be powered or not..

Amazon.com : Cable Matters MHL to HDMI Adapter for Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 & Note 2 in Black : Electronics

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones