• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Help with using EVO in the car without aux jack.

wkufan

Sep 1, 2010
I am hoping to be able to dump Sirius and start using my EVO in the car with Pandora or Tune It. The only problem is my 2003 Accord does not have an Aux jack. I current use a docking station with my portable Sirius that has an FM modulator built in. This works pretty well most of the time.

I need everyone's advice on the best/easy to use FM modulator to allow me to use my EVO in my car.

Secondly, what type of cable do I need to use my EVO with a bookshelf stereo system. I have a MD input jack that I could use but not sure which cable I need to get to make this work.

Thank you for your advice!

I am hoping to be able to dump Sirius and start using my EVO in the car with Pandora or Tune It. The only problem is my 2003 Accord does not have an Aux jack. I current use a docking station with my portable Sirius that has an FM modulator built in. This works pretty well most of the time.

I need everyone's advice on the best/easy to use FM modulator to allow me to use my EVO in my car.

Secondly, what type of cable do I need to use my EVO with a bookshelf stereo system. I have a MD input jack that I could use but not sure which cable I need to get to make this work.

Thank you for your advice!

Lucky for me, I still had a casette tape player in my car (and it's not a "cheap" car either), so I just use an adaptor with that purchased from ebay. Here's one from Amazon
Amazon.com: Walkman Car Connecting Pack for MD Walkman and CD Walkman (Model# CPA-9C): Electronics

If that's not an option either, FM modulator seems like the only viable option. I tried using one, but the sound quality would always cut in and out depending on the area and the road, so I switched back to the tape adaptor.

For a bookshelf stereo system, you just need a 3.5mm>RCA adaptor
6 feet Stereo 3.5mm Y-RCA for iPod/MP3/PC

If there is no RCA input at the back of your bookshelf system (which would be surprising),what kind of input is the MD input? Is it 3.5mm jack also? It's been so long since I've used my MD player that I can't remember.

Upvote 0
Lucky for me, I still had a casette tape player in my car (and it's not a "cheap" car either), so I just use an adaptor with that purchased from ebay. Here's one from Amazon
Amazon.com: Walkman Car Connecting Pack for MD Walkman and CD Walkman (Model# CPA-9C): Electronics

If that's not an option either, FM modulator seems like the only viable option. I tried using one, but the sound quality would always cut in and out depending on the area and the road, so I switched back to the tape adaptor.

For a bookshelf stereo system, you just need a 3.5mm>RCA adaptor
6 feet Stereo 3.5mm Y-RCA for iPod/MP3/PC

If there is no RCA input at the back of your bookshelf system (which would be surprising),what kind of input is the MD input? Is it 3.5mm jack also? It's been so long since I've used my MD player that I can't remember.

Ok, got the cable for my bookshelf system. I now need advice on FM modulator for car.

Upvote 0
I bought this Bluetooth FM modulator system from Amazon and have been using it in my 2005 Pontiac for about a week...

Amazon.com: BTC8 A2DP Bluetooth fm transmitter for Ipad, Iphone 4G, 3GS, 3G, all android phones - Droid, HTC,Samsung with wireless music streaming and handsfree calling: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

...and I love it. I tried one of the docks that hold the phone first, but it's just not so great with a bigger phone like the Evo. Bounced all over. The Bluetooth connection is fantastic here in St. Louis on 88.5 FM and I've never had a glitch. This system also lets you charge your Evo and acts as a speakerphone in your car if you want.

I'm just getting a generic phone holder to put the phone on the dash where I can see it, and this all connects wirelessly (unless charging, in which case you need your own microUSB cable to plug in).

I'm a fan.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I know what you mean, it really sucks!! My 06 Mustang GT doesnt have one either, they started making them standard on every Mustang in 07 (along with a lot of other things). I almost wished I would have waited 1 year to buy it, but 06 was the last year they offered yellow.
Anyway, I started shopping for cables that would plug in to the back of my factory head unit. I didnt want to replace it since I ordered the car with the upgraded Shaker 1000 stereo and 6 disc-changer. Well, I just thought I didnt want to chane it out. $1,400 later and now I have a bluetooth stereo, ipod cable coming from the back, female usb cable and female 3.5 mm cable also coming from the back and hidden in my center console. I always just use the bluetooth though, its awesome. Its great playing Pandora and my mp3s all wireless. Here is what I got

utf-8BSU1BRzA0OTIuanBn.jpg

I am so happy I decided to get this. Not only is it great with the Evo, but will be great with every phone I buy in the future. And it has an awesome ipod interface for my ipod that I bought just for this...

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Forget the FM Modulators... they're the worst possible way to listen to music from your phone or mp3 player through your car stereo.

I would go to: iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

They have aux jack interface cable systems for almost every make and model.

I've used their cables for an '06 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as an '02 Chevy Impala. I checked your '03 Accord and they have aux jack hookups. Their cables use your existing factory stereo. A bunch of their models actually provide 2 aux jacks that you can access through the stereo's menu.

The only tricky thing is you have to remove the entire stereo unit to access the back panel to interface the additional cables. I would assume there are a ton of tutorials on how to do this, especially for an accord.

Just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0
Forget the FM Modulators... they're the worst possible way to listen to music from your phone or mp3 player through your car stereo.

I would go to: iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

They have aux jack interface cable systems for almost every make and model.

I've used their cables for an '06 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well as an '02 Chevy Impala. I checked your '03 Accord and they have aux jack hookups. Their cables use your existing factory stereo. A bunch of their models actually provide 2 aux jacks that you can access through the stereo's menu.

The only tricky thing is you have to remove the entire stereo unit to access the back panel to interface the additional cables. I would assume there are a ton of tutorials on how to do this, especially for an accord.

Just my 2 cents...

PAC makes great quality products and I concur with this. Only problem is, for my particular car, it's more of a PITA. I need something quick and easy, so I've never considered PAC products (even though I know for a fact that they're great quality).

Upvote 0
PAC makes great quality products and I concur with this. Only problem is, for my particular car, it's more of a PITA. I need something quick and easy, so I've never considered PAC products (even though I know for a fact that they're great quality).

Yep, that's why I went with the FM modulator - it turns out that my car (2005 Pontiac Vibe) pretty much needs a whole new front end to replace the stereo to make it work with Aux and so on. My luck, right? But the old Griffin dock I used for FM on my iPod and the new Bluetooth one I got for my Evo both work really well. Quicker AND cheaper!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I know you asked about FM modulators, but here's an option if you don't mind taking the time to install it

Grom A-HON1-N Honda Aux RCA Adapter, Car Stereo Kits, Audio Wiring Harnesses, Installation Equipment, Electronics, Accessories & Adapters

I installed a similar product (Blitzsafe) in my 03 Acura for my iPod Touch. It just plugs into the cd changer port (in-dash changer not affected, will still work). I need to get something like this so I can use my Evo instead of the iPod (Blitzsafe connects via 30-pin connector).

Happy hunting :)

Upvote 0
I actually got the radio linked above, the Sony BT3800U for my car since my car didn't offer an aux input.
Before I used a thing that plugged into the back of the stock radio for a CD changer, and instead had an aux plug. That thing was a pain since the radio made a buzzing noise (not interference or something possibly fixable) when nothing was plugged in.

Overall the BT3800U has been pretty awesome. I plugged in an external microphone in the back to use with the handsfree, which I recommend try getting. The only complaint I really have is the handling of the handsfree. Every time I get a call I have no problem answering, but if I press the button to voice search someone, and dial, some of the time it'll go through the phone, sometimes through the radio. There is supposed to be a way to transfer it, but I have yet to get it to work.

As for music, it works great with the Evo. It'll connect automatically as soon as I get in the car.
The USB port on the front is great since if you don't have another USB plug to charge the phone, it can be used for that as well. The controls work great for play/pause/skip on Pandora as well.

Upvote 0

So after a few weeks of using it, I can't imagine life without it. But the audio quality sucks due to the FM portion of this setup. I don't like that the Motorloa lacks manual station settings. Instead, you have to hope and pray that their auto-tune function finds a decent station. IMHO, their technology is not so good on finding clean stations (though to their defense, Chalotte is a dense market for FM radio).

It picks stations that come in loud and clear, and tries to overpower them. It fails on the really strong ones, and does a bad job on the ones with static.

There are a few stations that it can find which are suitable, and even after adding them to memory, it can take 10-12 hops to get back to one of the good stations.

It's an OK compromise for now, but the goal is Bluetooth direct to the stereo. I plan on upgrading the in-dash unit to an aftermarket.

A quick question: Does the car stereo have to support calls? I would prefer to only send A2DP audio to the car stereo. I'd like the calls to go to another bluetooth device, or to the handset. Is this possible with the EVO?

Upvote 0
I can confirm 100% that the Sony BT3800 stereo setup will allow you to stream music to the car speakers via blue-tooth and then answer calls via the phone. When a call comes in, if you wish to answer the call on the phone, you simply answer the call with the phone. If you want to answer the call and use the car speakers and microphone you answer the call by hitting the volume button on the stereo. While I can not personally confirm it, I am pretty confident you could answer with a separate blue-tooth device. I have had the Sony Stereo for a few weeks and I have to be honest, I have NO desire to go back to ANY other setup.

- Rodney

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
I can confirm 100% that the Sony BT3800 stereo setup will allow you to stream music to the car speakers via blue-tooth and then answer calls via the phone. When a call comes in, if you wish to answer the call on the phone, you simply answer the call with the phone. If you want to answer the call and use the car speakers and microphone you answer the call by hitting the volume button on the stereo. While I can not personally confirm it, I am pretty confident you could answer with a separate blue-tooth device. I have had the Sony Stereo for a few weeks and I have to be honest, I have NO desire to go back to ANY other setup.

- Rodney

So does the car stereo come with a built in mic for when you want to use the speakers? (I suppose I could look up the specs, but I wanted your input)

Upvote 0
Ok, I also bought this accessory and love it but I have one minor problem. Sprint replaced my EVO and I do not have the owners manual for this accessory. Now, I can't get it to work. What is involved in getting the unit to work. I turned on Bluetooth on the phone and turned on the accessory and they will not connect to each other. HELP!

I bought this Bluetooth FM modulator system from Amazon and have been using it in my 2005 Pontiac for about a week...

Amazon.com: BTC8 A2DP Bluetooth fm transmitter for Ipad, Iphone 4G, 3GS, 3G, all android phones - Droid, HTC,Samsung with wireless music streaming and handsfree calling: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

...and I love it. I tried one of the docks that hold the phone first, but it's just not so great with a bigger phone like the Evo. Bounced all over. The Bluetooth connection is fantastic here in St. Louis on 88.5 FM and I've never had a glitch. This system also lets you charge your Evo and acts as a speakerphone in your car if you want.

I'm just getting a generic phone holder to put the phone on the dash where I can see it, and this all connects wirelessly (unless charging, in which case you need your own microUSB cable to plug in).

I'm a fan.

Upvote 0
Ok, I also bought this accessory and love it but I have one minor problem. Sprint replaced my EVO and I do not have the owners manual for this accessory. Now, I can't get it to work. What is involved in getting the unit to work. I turned on Bluetooth on the phone and turned on the accessory and they will not connect to each other. HELP!

This video shows how to pair -
Amazon.com : GOgroove FlexSMART X2

Edit - oops - not exactly the same product. I will leave this post anyway because MAYBE it will work the same?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones