1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Help!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zuben el genub, Feb 11, 2011.

1. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    I accidently switched the phone language to Bulgarian - Since I can't read that language how can I switch back by symbols?

I sneezed while was looking for the place to enter my phone# in system and hit the touch screen!

I've soft rebooted and pulled the Sim and put it back in. NO GO.

Please please please

Advertisement

2. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Found the answer in symbols, saved it as a txt. document.
    Thanks.

On changing the compression on photos. I've been checking entries for TMUS all day and some settings I just don't have. I can't get any to send or receive over 44k. I tried Handcent - no go. Didn't like it anyway. I'm convinced it's this phone.

Z

3. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Zuben, try Go SMS. You can reduce it with that!

4. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't want to reduce them. The phone is doing that automatically and I can't stop it.
    They go to recipients the size of a postage stamp!
    I think I've tried every darn TM setting for mms that I've found by searching.
    It has to be the phone as there are some settings to enter that I just don't have a selection or category for. I have no way to select GPRS, new mms profile, etc. It's all on one screen unless I'm missing something. From another screen (phone info) I do see the phone is on Edge, which is where it should be.

I know mms does work on TM at larger than postage stamp size pictures. The C6 did it. But - the C6 also had the right categories under settings! They matched the instructions.

A lot of the instructions say start new profile. I can set up unlimited profiles but can only select one at a time!

I do have a full data plan, internet is working, so mms should work. If it was the wrong plan, I would be told to upgrade data. I've been through that with the C6.

I did not fill out some things. There is a setting for synchronize data, I'm not sure what it does, so I didn't touch it. The manual is no help. In phone data, there is no phone number listed, but the phone is both CDMA and GSM, GSM has it on the SIM, but does it transfer to the phone?

I've seen this problem in searching, but quite often it was with an HTC phone, and it was all carriers. Have not seen that many complaints recently, unless 2.2 fixed it.

Like I said, I really want to update or root, but I need correct settings to go back to!

Thanks
    BTW - the Bulgarian freaked me as it's Cyrillic! If it was Roman, I could have figured it out.

5. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Oh, okay. First check here if your APN settings are correct:
    Name: T-Mobile US
    APN: epc.tmobile.com
    Proxy: <not set>
    Port: <not set>
    Username: none
    Password: none
    Server: *
    MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    MMS proxy: <not set>
    MMS port: <not set>
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 30
    APN type: <not set>

Second, there's an option in GO SMS to preserve the original image sizes. Try it, and then report back to me if it works. BTW, they will NOT show up full size when they're in your chat history. You have to tap on the image to see what size it sent as.

6. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Entered, saved, and it disappeared. I don't think it likes the 234/30. It puts in 310/260
    I press on the image for details. The size shows up there. I've loaded Avatars on groups where 100k or less is the requirement and those are 80x80 or less @72dpi. These images are 44K or less. They should be 300 to 500K I guess I'll have to call CS again. I have to get a Behold 2 unlocked anyway.
    I know my plan is OK as the C6 will send larger images. Nothing worked for the Behold 2 or the C6 unless we went full TTW. I'm not having any internet problems. Get where I want on carrier or wifi.
    It's also refusing to send images via email. I can straight email, but attach an image and it sits in drafts. I have to use webmail anyway - we have naked dsl

But I still see no settings for 2G, 3G, UMTS, anywhere. I know I'm on Edge, have no problem. But even the choices for system are only Auto/GMS/CDMA. It did pick up the wifi with no problem. Since I don't see any choices to go wifi only, what is that app to let you turn off carrier?

What's annoying is that it appears to be the PHONE that's telling me image is too large. I'd more expect a warning from TM. If you didn't have the right data plan, TM would tell you to upgrade. I don't feel it's the phone's business, especially since it isn't affiliated with a carrier!
    This phone is really lacking in setup info and a lot of other info besides.
    Where does it save the drafts for messages?
    Thanks

7. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Your 3G and MMS settings are all dealth with by APN settings.

You need to input your APN settings otherwise it will not work.

If the APN settings disappear when you try and input them, then call your carrier and ask for the correct APN settings, because these are essential in order to send MMS over 3G. Unfortunately EDGE has it's shortcomings, and you probably need a 3G connection for larger images.

Once you enter those your phone should be fine. It's probably giving you that error because you are not on a 3G network. Mine gives the same error when I turn off 3G.

8. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I know I'm on Edge. I expected that. The C6 has the exact same bands as the Apollo, and it has no problem with Edge. So it's either Samsung or Android or both.

Just got off the phone with TMUS. They can't even find the designation for the phone!
    They re-sent the settings for a Galaxy, which, except for the last 2 numbers is the same as yours and what was originally put there!
    The compression is still awful, but it seems to be showing bigger than postage stamp, and I can now attach photos to email. The pictures from the mail don't flip to landscape either.I don't usually send too many pics via messaging, but I did want to make sure I have a working backup.
    Here's a good reference that you can probably edit for illustration.
    Mobistar - Samsung I5800 Galaxy Apollo - MMS - manual configuration
    Why re-sending should clear up the email part, I don't know, but I sent pictures to a couple of my other email addys, and they arrived instead of sitting in drafts.

I can't find any folders for drafts. If I mis-type and hit a wrong key it says saving to drafts in both messaging and email. I'd like to find the Drafts folder to clean it out.

After I check on MMS sent to another party, if it's halfway decent, will just have to live with it.

Now I'll go back and study rooting. I'll have more questions.
    Thanks

9. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Hey Zuben,

Did you figure out what was wrong with MMS yet? And how's rooting?

10. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I spent most of the AM Tues. on the phone with TM tech. They couldn't even find any listing for the phone on Samsung or their usual connections. Poor guy wound up surfing the internet for it! They re-sent the APN info and it's now working a bit better, but the compression is still haywire. But as long as it's working and I can send pix via email, it will do. I couldn't believe the service from TM - the tech actually called BACK 3 times to make sure it was working! I see another complaint about android and compression on HOFO, (different phone) and I bet it gets ignored. I'm leaning towards the phone mfgs causing the problem.

As for rooting, I'm still reading. I'm hesitant as I am worried about bricking the phone, then there's so many ROMs available. I don't necessarily need the fastest and the best, but one that will work my way. I tend to be a control freak. I just don't do things the normal way, so my family says.

Is there a list of each ROM and its behavior?

Then there's the Froyo update. Universal due to unlocked phone /Am. carrier.

I just installed Ubuntu Meerkat on a computer, and I'm driving the Ubuntu community nuts with an error! So I really appreciate your patience!

I also tried to buy stuff from the store, but my phone isn't listed. Someone else was nice enough to answer. He gave the the specs on a charger.

Weezy

11. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I like to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. If I've got the info, then it's less likely to be panic city!
    W

12. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Hey Zuben,

No worries! I was the exact same way when I first got my Galaxy 3!

To your MMS problem, I THINK maybe this is your software issue. So by flashing a new ROM onto your phone, I feel this could take away your issues.

As for rooting: it will not brick your phone at all. It's what you do with it that could damage your phone. When you root your phone you grant yourself access to all parts of the phones memory. Using google you can find a list of APKs that could be removed from /system/app/ folder to speed up your phone (by removing stock apps). Removing these will NOT damage your phone, but try and keep to what you know. BTW, if you delete ALL apps in the /system/app/ folder, you still won't brick your phone. So don't worry. You'll make it unusable until you flash another ROM, that's all.

Now, as for ROMs: There are beginning to be a lot of very nice ROMs for our G3 devices. On XDA forums, in the galaxy 3 section under android development, you can find tons of custom ROMs.

My current ROM is MOTAFOCA's custom ROM, and it's working really well for me. It sped up my phone, increased battery life, and gave me APPS2SD.

I seriously think you should consider flashing to a 2.2 froyo ROM. Using ODIN Multiloader, you have a zero (yes zero) chance to brick your phone as long as you don't flash the bootloader. Most custom ROMs disregard the bootloader completely, so you don't even have to worry about that.

That's my experience. You may flash a ROM and your phone may be unable to start, but it's not bricked, you just put it back into downloading mode, flash a different ROM, and you're ready to go!

Hope this eases your decisions!

13. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Got a link to where it is on XDA? And do they describe what each one will do? I looked under development and didn't see a list, just usual forum posting.
    Also requirements. I don't need Kies do I? For some reason, pc is not seeing the card in mass transfer? mode.

Any step-by-step instructions using Odin?

Thanks

14. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    Here is a comprehensive guide:
    Samsung Galaxy 3 (I5801/I5800) Flashing Guide - xda-developers

And I'm currently waiting for the Lestatious 1.1 ROM to try out. It's deodexed (faster).

This also allows for theming the phone easily. The only problem is that deodexing ROMs increases the amount of room they use. But that's what APPS2SD is for. And it has a built in kernel improvement. I'll let you know!

Right now I'm using Motafoca's rom. A simple upgrade to 2.2 with a better stability platform.

Here's a posting with the list of all the current custom roms:
    ROMS,THEMES,FIXES everything at one place...updated - xda-developers

15. zuben el genub

None

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm not that interested in theming. I'm vain enough to use my own pix for wallpaper. I've got one of the Arkansas River right now and like the way it displays.
    I want the social apps off, more control over which app does what when, a better missed calls (I hate voicemail and use missed calls). Moving apps to the card would be good also. There's so many apps out there. I'll go read that list.
    Thank you.

16. barqers

barqers Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2010
    You can easily remove any apps if you root your phne, and then just remove the APKs.

You can also control your apps using programs like Droidwall and tasker. Not sure about the missed calls though!