1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Help

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by illm4tic, May 5, 2011.

1. illm4tic

illm4tic Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    So I bought a used HTC Desire that is rooted and already has a ROM on it.
    All I know is that the Mod version is CyanogenMod-7.0.0RC4-Desire
    Baseband version is 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2
    Kernel version: 2.6.37.4-cyanogenmod-gd307828

Is there a Rom better and functions better than this ROM plus I was wondering how to flash the ROM and is it as easy as flashing the LG EVE (my old phone)?

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    That's a relatively recently Cyanogen Gingerbread release candidate. "Better" depends on what you like really - that's certainly a good ROM, though I'd be tempted to update it to the actual release version. But as you already have it, I'd spend a little time with it and see what you like or don't like while you read up on what the options are.

A couple of good starting points would be:

* SUroot's rooting FAQ, which you can also find linked from the sticky post at the top of this forum or from his sig.

* Desire Android Development forum at XDA-developers, especially the "Desire Index" thread, which includes links to all major ROMs.

Flashing a ROM (as described in the FAQ) is pretty straightforward. Main thing is to make all of the backups first (app backups, via an app called Titanium Backup, and a recovery backup or "nandroid", which you make from recovery). The first allows you to move apps between ROMs (often, though not always, you need to do a factory reset when changing ROMs), while the second allows you to get your old ROM back if something goes wrong.

3. illm4tic

illm4tic Member
    None

Sep 19, 2010
    Thanks.

Well, the one doesn't even have htc sense at all. I would like to see what that is like. Does the actual gingerbread have htc sense and where can you get the actual release?

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    There's no official GB Sense release for the Desire yet - all official HTC firmware is Froyo still. But there are a few GB Sense ROMs based on leaks from the Desire S - have a look at this thread over in XDA, which has links to various ROMs.

Edit: oops, forgot I'd already posted that link - sorry!

Personally I gave up on Sense last year and have no interest in going back, so don't really follow these and can't advise on which are good ones. However, EddyOS gave a thumbs up to this one in another thread this evening.

Tags: