1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Help!

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by jakestarz, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jakestarz

jakestarz Lurker
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    I need help making a android chat room application. I just dont know where to start.

Advertisement

2. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Between Imladris and Lothl
    I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are about writing apps so let's start with the basics.

You need to install the right version of Java, the Android SDK and Eclipse. This is a pain but the link to get started is: Installing the SDK | Android Developers

From there I'd suggest using Google to find tutorials which include similar pieces to what you might need to implement. For example, you'll need to understand how preferences work, how to communicate over the net and how to display the conversations. I assume you'll also need a server somewhere to coordinate communication so you'll probably have to learn how to set that up.

This isn't likely to be a weekend project but if you stick with it, you may come up with something new and cool.

PS. For your sake, you might want to edit the title of this thread to something more specific about what you're looking for. "Help!" doesn't give folks much to go on. ;)

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven OK Google

Jun 23, 2010
    Male
    Douglas, MA
    I've moved this to the Applications Development forum so the OP can get the help he needs.

4. vkaresz6

vkaresz6 Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    If he is tatally beginner i suggest him to start with the JAVA basics rather than android developement. I was in the same place several months ago (now i am able to start to create a chat room app but not sure i'm able to finish it). I tried to start with android but turned out pretty soon that i dont even understand the concept of oop. So start with JAVA and as soon as you understand what is this aboutyou can try things with android too(like display text, create buttons and make them work etc.).

Of course assuming that you are totally beginner.

Anyway:
    Start with learning about sockets.
    Then threads.
    Then make a server that waits for connections and create a thread for each incoming clients.
    Learn how to identify separate threads (that is where i would get stucked)
    then display text recognize when to close connections etc.
    If you are able to make this work in console then it wont be a problem to include your code into an activity.(i guess)