• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root (HelpPlease!) MetroPCS Wildfire S (rooting help)

Congrats!
icon14.gif

There actually aren't many good custom ROMs out there for MetroPCS. Check this one out by user Insink71 and read the first post for benefits.
[ROM]Stock 2.3.4, Sense 2.1[Rooted][Apps2sd][MetroPCS]- Only for marvelc

If you don't want to mess with that, then install Link2SD as linked at the bottom of my post 20 above.

Reactions: ForeverShine
Upvote 0
I will check that out now .. and see how it goes... I will update you !! But i must say, after moving some stock apps, and deleting , i stay with a steady 50-60 mb unused. So so far, it is defffffinetly better then it was.

i quickly checked the link2sd post..... I dont have a card reader, and he states to NOT do it , with the phone mounted as the HD..... Anyway around that ?

Hmmm, seems that CWM wont go into recovery. Tried a bunch of times.... even tried manually, and thru rom manager. I tried flashing to another cwm version, but it crashes after i click ok.

Upvote 0
Thanks caro , i will try that later on today and give you both an update on how it goes.

@cafe, as of last nite , even trying to go into recovery normally it would boot to the HTC screen, hang there for a minute or two, then it would vibrate again, reboot... and start normally.

update - As im checking around and researching myself, seems that noone has an actual fix for this .. Except to reflash an older version of CWM,(thru ROM manager), then back to the updated version. Some say they needed to do it 4-5 times.
Problem is , when i try to flash to an older version of CWM, the pop up comes on the screen and it crashes.

-- i just went to do it again, to see what the exact error was, but now when i click on "all versions", it says, "No Legacy recoveries found" Prior to this, I was getting a crash error, after an option to press "ok"
(the error i was getting was ROM manager process.com.koushikdutta.rommanager has stopped.... Force quit, or report)

So in other words, i cant get into recovery at all, manually, nor thru rom manager, nor thru terminal command either. Every time i get the green HTC logo, it hangs, then resets, back to HTC, then turns on normally.

Upvote 0
I do have one option although right now the software is not available so you might have to wait a bit. I used Wildfire S manager to install CMW and some people which had problems managed to get it working thanks to to the software. However right now the developer is tweaking it to make it better and so it's not available for download yet. But I suggest you check every couple of days to see if it comes up again:
Here's the link:

[S-off][BL Unlocked]HTC Manager - xda-developers

Upvote 0
@cafe, as of last nite , even trying to go into recovery normally it would boot to the HTC screen, hang there for a minute or two, then it would vibrate again, reboot... and start normally.

update - As im checking around and researching myself, seems that noone has an actual fix for this .. Except to reflash an older version of CWM,(thru ROM manager), then back to the updated version. Some say they needed to do it 4-5 times.
Problem is , when i try to flash to an older version of CWM, the pop up comes on the screen and it crashes.

-- i just went to do it again, to see what the exact error was, but now when i click on "all versions", it says, "No Legacy recoveries found" Prior to this, I was getting a crash error, after an option to press "ok"
(the error i was getting was ROM manager process.com.koushikdutta.rommanager has stopped.... Force quit, or report)

So in other words, i cant get into recovery at all, manually, nor thru rom manager, nor thru terminal command either. Every time i get the green HTC logo, it hangs, then resets, back to HTC, then turns on normally.
Try re-flashing a stock recovery manually from bootloader. Open the RUU for your phone (make SURE it's the right one). When the wizard comes up, find the temp folder it creates (c:\users\yournamehere\AppData\Temp\{temp folder}), open the ROM.zip in the temp folder with 7zip (Windows can't open it) and grab the recovery.img and flash it:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sorry , i should of been a little more clear.

I was finally able to get into recovery, (2 days ago i couldnt), So i then (at least i think i did), I installed the ROM, that you linked me to earlier (insinks) It told me that the install from SD was complete.... But i dont see anything different. Im assuming with the new rom, i should be seeing something different ?

.... so how do i check if the rom was correctly installed.

Upvote 0
Yes the memory is definetly better. It stays with a steady 75-85 Mb now. I got rid of alot of widgets, and on board apps i dont use. Fbook app, etc. ( i use touch.facebook.com thru the browser) Link2SD is working, occasionally it tells me the SD card is not in there. I think its an issue with the partitioning. But ill figure that out thru trial and error, of the different formats. (ext 2,3,4 Fat32). And i was able to move alot of other apps on over. It feels good now to dl a few apps, without being told no room left.

So only other issue i have now is battery life. During these days that you have helped me, ive come across a few forums or summarys of googles searches, that seem to have maybe apps, or tweaks.. To improve the battery life of the wildfire S.
I wasnt able to research it , since i was focusing on the root, rom etc... But if you have any feed back on that, that would be great. Ive done the usual, turned off the search for wifi, only have it on in my house, gps location...

Again i definetly appreciate ya time and patience on this . Indeeeeeeed.

Upvote 0
I agree..., just from past experience on other things, battery optimizing really dont work. Other then turning of unnecessary apps, and things that dont need to be searching, and using batt. life every ten minutes.

Again... i thank you. I will try to follow around on the forum... and give feed back. But all jokes aside, the Wildfire S does suck.... UNTIL you get it rooted, and if anyone has problems, i think i encountered every POSSIBLE one while rooting ,and unlocking s-off. LOL... This thread has almost every option listed.

Reactions: CafeKampuchia
Upvote 0
Hey whats going onnn CafeKampuchia. I got another problem, well basically the same problem it seems.

I am rooted as you know, and i did the sd card correctly (im fairly sure at least... lol), After doing research i see that people do have 50+ apps on their wfs. But im still getting the low memory alert.

All i have on there now , is instagram, and the various root necessary apps. Such as SU, titanium backup, etc. I tried to update two days ago, and it wouldnt let me due to no memory space. Prior to that, i was attempting to download some apps, (first day i had time to relax since rooting the phone to be honest, so busy lately).

Ive checked around for this problem, and i dont see anything on it, thats why as last resort im coming to you again for help. If you need any other info, let me know ill drop it in here...

link2sd does show that adfree, instagram, connectbot,googleplay store, titanium backup, is indeed "linked --> sdcard"

thru link2sd this is what it reads in reference to the memory.

/data total 150mb Used: 132 Free:17.60

sdcard 99% free total 28.69 used 194mb free 28.50mb

sdcard 2nd part 96% free total 1.01gb used 35.90mb free 0.97gb

system 7% free total 263mb, used 242mb, free 20.64mb

cache 93% free total 35.00mb used2.27mb free 32.73mb

So i clearly see that the space is there for apps, on the sd card.

So again, thanks in advance, and if u need any other info, let me know and ill pass it on.

Upvote 0
@caro, yea thats how they are set up, linked.

It seems that im able to dl a few games the other day, (maybe 4-5 games).. But then i wasnt able to open my pictures yesterday. even after i cleared out due to low memory.

If i understand correctly, no matter what, there will always be some trace of app, or game on the internal memory ? If thats the case, then is the people who say they have 50+ apps on a wfs lying ? Or is it something with the way my phone is set up ?

And being that i see the "linked to sd" , i assume that is the correct way ?

and i see u have a wfs, with CM installed. Thats not a MetroPCS wfs ?

thanks caro.

Upvote 0
If i understand correctly, no matter what, there will always be some trace of app, or game on the internal memory ?

Yes that is right. I'm not sure how it works exactly but like the name suggests it, it creates some sort of link between internal memory and the sd card and although it says it's in the internal memory, I think most of it is on the SD card and a link is created. When an app in linked, you'll see that it's slightly slower to open up.

And being that i see the "linked to sd" , i assume that is the correct way ?
Yes that is the correct way. Not sure why it's not working for you.
Try to re-install link2sd and try to format your SD card and create a partition once again (after backing up everything :thumb::D) and see if that works. Because I have about 30+ apps and still have some 60mb free (Including a few heavier apps like instagram)

and i see u have a wfs, with CM installed. Thats not a MetroPCS wfs ?
No I have a Marvel wfs. But there is a beta CM9 for cdma phones if you want to check it out. I just saw it yesterday in the forum
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s...m9-marvelc-wildfire-s-happening-over-xda.html

Upvote 0
I slacked the past few weeks was kind of busy with other things. Now from what i checked the other day...

1. I forgot one process on APP2sdGui so i did that, and i cleared up a few more MB of space ... BUT, now i get a constant "invalid package file", for any update or app i try to download.

@cafekampuchia, That is the Rom that you initially directed me too. Thats what is installed.

@caro Question, to reinstall link2sd.. should i do the same with app2sdgui ? And if so how do i do it ? Just as a regular uninstall ... then reinstall.

Edit... wow smh, i cant believe i jus let this occur.....
So a friend was over while i left the previous post prior to this edit. Long story short i was told "hey gimme ya phone i got this, i know the problem and how to fix it..."....... yea, im sure u can see now where this story is going .
Dude did a factory reset, thru cwm (i assume), now i cant install any apps. When it finishes downloading and begins to install... It reboots the phone.

UUUGGGHHHHH..... So instead of figuring out how to fix all this step by step, is there a way to unroot the phone ? And begin the process all over. So i can do a clean new root of the phone ?

Sorry for the nonsense.... this just got me real urked now. =0(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones