• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Here comes the aftermath....

"...the industry will see the largest sequential decrease on a percentage basis since the fourth quarter of 2008."

Well if you don’t continue to innovate and make your own products obsolete, then somebody else will.

I suppose it was exactly the same for floppy disk and 8-track cartridge manufacturers. Last PC I bought, NO mechanical hard drive.

Upvote 0
Yes I did, and I highlighted the part about about sales of mechanical harddrives have been on the decline for two years running, floods and production problems not withstanding. Mechanical data storage won't be around forever, they're certainly an endangered species when it comes to mobile computing, laptops, netbooks, tablets, etc.

Spinning disk storage is almost obsolete when it comes to personal media players, except probably the iPod Classic. Toshiba makes the 1.8inch drives used in the iPod, which is probably the only device now which uses drives of that size. But once Apple discontinues the iPod Classic, which they probably will sooner or later, that's the end of that. Going to be the same for 2.5inch drives, as laptops and netbooks will eventually go completely SSD.

Probably the only place in the long term for mechanical data storage will be large servers and data farms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones