• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

here is why I use a task killer

I took off ATK, and replaced it with system panel lite. Couple observations;

When I unplug the phone for about 3 minutes, I notice lots of apps in my "battery use" display.

But when I go ahead and kill every app and do this, I only see phone idle and cell standby.I think the apps turn themselves off after several hours of non use. But haw much battery did they consume before they shut down?

Also, memory. I have the application "any cut" (great free app for making shortcuts). When I've not killed any tasks, there is a slowdown in how fast I can scroll the menu. Same applies to Astro file mgr.

So, if no need for a task killer? Seems to me its necessary.

Turn the CPU information on in System Panel and you will see that apps that you are worried about consume no CPU cycles if the apps are unused and in the background. If they are not consuming cycles, they are not consuming battery.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I disagree. I opened every app on my phone last night and did NOT use a task killer. My phone had the same awake and up times even when I turned the screen off. It was like this for 2 hours and not once did it sleep.

The phone isn't doing it's job of closing programs after an extended period of no use. Unless that extended period has to be more than 2 hours. My phone would have been dead in 4.

A task killer is VERY necessary.

Upvote 0
I disagree. I opened every app on my phone last night and did NOT use a task killer. My phone had the same awake and up times even when I turned the screen off. It was like this for 2 hours and not once did it sleep.

The phone isn't doing it's job of closing programs after an extended period of no use. Unless that extended period has to be more than 2 hours. My phone would have been dead in 4.

lmao, you opened every app you had so obviously your phone isnt going to sleep. :rolleyes:

The phone wont shut down apps for you like that. You still dont actually get how it works and are STILL completely missing the point.

Upvote 0

You have a bad app keeping your phone awake.

The bloatware isn't the culprit.

Upvote 0
I understand the OS works by closing apps that haven't been used for an extended period of time. Me opening all of my apps has no difference than the phone automatically opening all of its bloatware.

Think all threads about task killers should just be locked right away unless the OP has a legitimate question, it's like arguing politics or religion. If people want to believe task killers are helping them just let them believe.... when they come back and ask a question about a problem they are having and it's pinpointed to the task killer then MAYBE they will change their mind. But I'm sure there are many people who will live their whole smart phone lives without knowing how much easier their life might have been without a task killer.

Upvote 0
I'm telling you..no. I KNOW that my battery lasts longer WITH a task killer/force closing apps. I charge my phone while it's on until I get green. Turn it off and bump charge it 4 times. I do this every time. With a task killer, my battery is always around ~70%. Without the task killer and letting the apps remain open, my battery drops to ~40%.

Upvote 0
1:10pm today, sitting in my office. I note my DINC has 48% battery left.
3:15pm today, still sitting in my office. have literally not touched my phone since 1:10pm, but I'm down to 31% battery.

3:16pm: I use ATK to kill all running tasks. running was all generic stuff, internet, facebook, peep, etc...nothing exotic at all

5:10pm: I am currently at 27% battery

so just over 2 hours with tasks running only in background = 17% battery gone

just under 2 hours with nothing running at all = 4% battery used

I don't use ATK and I have left my phone on with no use over night and not lost a % of battery. The worst I have lost was 1%. ATK is wasting your battery away, haha. I still had 9% left in that picture.

battery_life.png

Upvote 0
I'm telling you..no. I KNOW that my battery lasts longer WITH a task killer/force closing apps. I charge my phone while it's on until I get green. Turn it off and bump charge it 4 times. I do this every time. With a task killer, my battery is always around ~70%. Without the task killer and letting the apps remain open, my battery drops to ~40%.

You realize that your phone isn't able to go up to 100% with it on.

Upvote 0
Already did that a week ago. I'm talking about youtube, pandora, market, etc.

You consider the market bloatware? You can just "ls" all files in your system/data folder or use the file thread on this or XDA, I don't remember which forum it's on, and take as well as play with the files, moving them yourself. You always have a CW backup to restore to if you **** up your phone and it goes into boot loops. *shrugs*

Do you guys use SetCPU?

Upvote 0
So I was hesitant on posting here but I had a question. I quit atk cold turkey for a week now, after reading the post about old wimo users ocd :D. I have to say as far as battery life I haven't noticed a difference. Win for not using task killers.

But as far as available memory, when I only have about 100mb of free mem left my phone really starts to lag. I had to kill tasks just to finish this post, it was taking 10 seconds just to fix a typo :( I get crazy lag when using memory intensive apps like emulators too. I'm not trying to argue the use of a task killer or not, but would like to hear some constructive thoughts on this, is there a way to change when or at what memory level the os starts to free up memory?

Upvote 0
I am currently running tests to prove or disprove the idea that task killers do not work.

I think either way, they seem to get some sort of job done. Every phone is not the same, in the grand scheme of things. Since they're widely manufactured, they're only made to "spec" some are better than others which is why some can OC up to the max 1.19 with no problems and others can't.

Upvote 0
I have always been abhorrently against the use of ATK. Then my room mate got a Droid Incredible. He has no idea what he is doing with an electronic device, though would never admit that. After a couple days he started saying his battery was horrible (I told him before he got the phone that he wouldn't like it), so against my advice he downloaded ATK and "WHOA! IT'S BETTER!"

So, I'm convinced, ATK is for people who don't really know how to manage their phone and want something else to do it for them and pretend everything is ok.

Upvote 0
I have always been abhorrently against the use of ATK. Then my room mate got a Droid Incredible. He has no idea what he is doing with an electronic device, though would never admit that. After a couple days he started saying his battery was horrible (I told him before he got the phone that he wouldn't like it), so against my advice he downloaded ATK and "WHOA! IT'S BETTER!"

So, I'm convinced, ATK is for people who don't really know how to manage their phone and want something else to do it for them and pretend everything is ok.

You get the same effect installing a button widget that, when you press it, says "All apps killed, 300mb free"

Upvote 0

good line sir ;)

and somewhat true, cause it will certainly MASK any real problems the user has and are to lazy to figure out and fix

Reactions: sdrawkcab25
Upvote 0
good line sir ;)

and somewhat true, cause it will certainly MASK any real problems the user has and are to lazy to figure out and fix

+1 to that, Task killers just help hide the issue you are really having, but like I said in my previous post, most smart phone users with go their whole android life never knowing how much easier their life would be without one.

I think all task killer users and people who bump charge must be almost related, like second cousins... but that's a whole other argument lol

Upvote 0
+1 to that, Task killers just help hide the issue you are really having, but like I said in my previous post, most smart phone users with go their whole android life never knowing how much easier their life would be without one.

I think all task killer users and people who bump charge must be almost related, like second cousins... but that's a whole other argument lol

Hey now, I bump charge! Haha.

Upvote 0
Okay I tried it today to see how it would be without a task killer.
I uninstalled it and I was surprised. I used the phone kind of a lot today.
And I got 15:51 Awake time off charger and sitting at 5%.
So I need to do a similar test with task killer. But just first impression was a longer lasting battery.

Upvote 0
I think some people truely have positive experiences with ATK, like myself. I truely see an increase in battery life using ATK. Just let it be, most people claiming to be such Android Linux experts probably aren't, I've yet to see 1 piece of literature from the anti-ATK people prooving that ATK is not needed. Show me something, some reputable reference/document that proves ATK is not needed.

I use ATK battery life goes up, I don't use it, battery life goes down. Thats all the proof I need.

ps...samsung is most likely going to start running a task manager on upcoming firmware updates for the galaxy S. They even have a how to video already running on their official site, showing how to install a task manager on the galaxy s phones. If Android/linux didn't require a task killer, surely it wouldn't require a task manager either. Ugh

Upvote 0
I think some people truely have positive experiences with ATK, like myself. I truely see an increase in battery life using ATK. Just let it be, most people claiming to be such Android Linux experts probably aren't, I've yet to see 1 piece of literature from the anti-ATK people prooving that ATK is not needed. Show me something, some reputable reference/document that proves ATK is not needed.

I use ATK battery life goes up, I don't use it, battery life goes down. Thats all the proof I need.

ps...samsung is most likely going to start running a task manager on upcoming firmware updates for the galaxy S. They even have a how to video already running on their official site, showing how to install a task manager on the galaxy s phones. If Android/linux didn't require a task killer, surely it wouldn't require a task manager either. Ugh

I've run linux (my favorite distros are Debian and Gentoo) of 5 different desktops and 4 laptops (I think I had a functioning quad boot at one point...XP, Mandriva, Debian, and something else). I don't think I'd call myself an expert, but I know the ins and outs pretty thoroughly.

Taskilllers ARE NOT NEEDED. And you apparently didn't look very hard. A simple google search turns this up straightaway. And this has been posted many times on this forum.

FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

And for a better explaination for WHY taskiller's aren't needed Application Fundamentals | Android Developers

And taskmanagers are entirely different that taskillers. From one thing, android has a task manager built in ( menu-settings- Manage Applications).

As to your experience with ATK, you have a rogue app, either preventing your phone from sleeping or using way too much resources in the background (or both). Find out which one it is (System panel works great for that), and either fix it in the settings, unistall it, or kill just that app.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones