• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Here Not Storing Maps on SD Card

My Here app is storing all the maps on the internal memory rather than on my SD card.

In Here I have the “Settings” “storage memory” set to “sdcard1”.

Here takes 3.05 GB.

There is 19 GB free on my SD card.

Any idea how I can get Here to put everything it can on the SD card?

Yes there was some confusion on this.

Under 6.0 if 1234-5678 is chosen for downloads ... the first time you tell it to download it will prompt for mermission to write to the external card and if you grant it it reloads the app.

I selected North and Central America and this resulted in ...
Internal
.here-maps
1.72MB​
1234-5678
Android/data/com.here.app.maps
7.12GB​

... Thom

Reactions: badcatz and mikedt
Upvote 0
I spent some time experimenting with Here and finally gave up.

I have a 128GB SD card and downloaded all the maps. When you do that the top index is inserted wit the name World.

I tried running on different contents when offline and had no problem.

I ended the session and tried again. It entered an infinite loop with the Here screen displayed. Investigating I found that ES Pro would process properties and X-plore would enter into an infinite loop processing the map folder.

I uninstalled Here and copied other data off the SD card and reformatted it.

I installed Here and reloaded all the maps again and processed with no problem.

I closed the application and loaded it again and it dropped into an infinite loop.

I ended the session and tried again. It entered an infinite loop with the Here screen displayed. Investigating I found that ES Pro would process properties request up to 18.27GB and then enter a loop. X-plore would just sit there churning away and report no progress.

I will never download another Here map.

If I was allowed to guess ... if the maps were stored in internal memory they would probably work correctly. It is likely a speed-related issue on the MUCH slower SD card.

I uninstalled Here and copied other data off the SD card, reformatted it, and copied all the other data back onto it.

... Thom

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I use a couple of off-line satnav apps, and they can both use the SD no problem for map data. Autonavi and Amap.

So I think the problem is definitely here with Here. In fact I had another look at Here this morning, the whole city is missing, including all the bridges, they're just not here. It has Hong Kong, but the edge of the world is at Lo Wu.

Last edited:
Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
My device put everything on internal storage even though "place new apps on sdcard" was selected until ....

I reformatted the SDcard as internal storage.

6.0 want's to encrypt everything so it doesn't want to put stuff on "portable" SDcards because they are not encrypted.

This also explains why downloading or transferring any files to SDcards formatted as internal takes so much longer then the same job with SDcards formatted as portable. The processor speed now matters more because it has to encrypt everything going onto the SDcard.

Upvote 0
My Here app is storing all the maps on the internal memory rather than on my SD card.

I still can't get Here to store my maps on the SD card even though that is the selected option.

Has anyone else been able to make this work?

Have you tried any other nav apps in the eight months since your first post?

If not I can recommend you have a look at Magic Earth :-

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmagic.magicearth

I've used it extensively over the last 18 months or so and have no problems with it. Downloading maps to SD is an option and certainly works on my HTC M9.

Another option to bear in mind is that Google Maps now allows downloading maps to your device for off-line search and turn-by-turn navigation. It also has the option of using the SD card for map storage.

Certainly in the UK I find Google Maps search facility the best of any nav apps I've used, and the turn-by-turn direction information is excellent.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones