• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Here's Hesse saying 4G is free again

There are tons of posts about the '$10 fee'. I don't like the people that say, "hey it's only $10, quite whining about it". We all have to figure out if it breaks the budget or upsets us to the point we will leave Sprint, etc.

The part that gets me is that Sprint and all the other advertise "unlimited data" at X rate/month, but it is really capped at 5 GB/month. To me that part is wrong, period. But now Sprint is saying, "well, we're going to charge you $10 more per month because we think you will use it, and now it is unlimited data (really we promise this time)". Don't get me wrong, companies can charge whatever they wish, and it is up to us to pay it or leave. But we're already paying for "unlimited", but for $10 more, we now get "unlimited".

4G is supposed to be unlimited for everyone, regardless of the $10 EVO tax or not. Any contract attorneys here? What happens if and when Sprint decides to change the contract and put a cap on it (5, 10, 15GB/month or so) in the future?

I know they can change the terms of the contract, but don't we then have a chance to leave the contract without penalties?

Upvote 0
we are ultimately paying for the future. we all pay the $10 now and eventually when all other carriers jump on the 4G bandwagon there will be competition. at which point that $10 will most likely disappear. the $10 we pay now will ensure us a good foot forward when the time comes. i just hope sprint will acknowledge that we, the few, the proud, the mar... oops. chose to help push them to the top.

I agree with this. Concerning a post that said they're setting a bad model for Verizon and AT&T, well, do you think those two companies would have had free 4G anyway? They're already the two most expensive carriers and I don't see why they wouldn't charge for 4G. Sprint is charging the $10 now but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them drop it in the future especially when AT&T and Verizon roll out LTE. It's a business and marketing model. They can make money now and then when Verizon and AT&T charge for their 4G, Sprint can drop the charge and say look at us we don't charge anymore so sign up with us instead.

I'm personally hoping they drop the 4G charge sooner as a paying consumer :p

Upvote 0
I listened to that clip 4 times and at no time did he say wimax would be free or even indicate anything would be free at all..

He said we would give you more gigabytes for cheaper/free..

He also stressed that the phone would use more data.

Can you tell me at what point did you hear him say Wimax service was free or no additional costs for it???

Reactions: misterzeno
Upvote 0
I listened to that clip 4 times and at no time did he say wimax would be free or even indicate anything would be free at all..

Can you tell me at what point did you hear him say Wimax service was free or no additional costs for it???

People hear what they want to hear.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

At the :39 mark he says, "In essence what we're doing with 4G, is we're throwing in the HD channels for free, uh, because we're not charging any more, and we're giving customers more. You get more gigabytes, per month, in your rate plan, and you're going to be using a lot more gigabytes..."

Reactions: The Tick077
Upvote 0
If we tossed interpretations aside, it's pretty clear that Evo and surcharge are still the best values around.

I don't expect Sprint or Hesse to change their position. I'd sooner expect to hear him say "it's not reasonable for anyone to think we can give our service away for free so much as that we're now making it a requirement for advanced, dual 4G/3G capable phones to include a fee for their ability to have unlimited 4G and 3G access and make the data experience richer than ever before."

I wish Hesse would just come out and say something like this so it's clear that he didn't mean "free" so much as "more." Fees are a part of how companies pay for future developments. I'm amazed Sprint's been able to push Wimax this far.

Upvote 0
I am fine wit the fee because they are uncapping 3G as well. There have been several reports about it and I can not wait. I use my wireless card right now for 7 hours a day at work, there is not a month goes by I don't worry about a huge bill coming in the mail.

I will pay the $10 fee to not have to worry about a $1000 bill at the end of every month.

Upvote 0
I've already said my peace over this issue. I'll come try the Evo for 30 days. If I like it, I keep it. If I don't, I'm bringing it back and go back to T-Mo for 59.99 a month for 500 minutes (I don't even use half of that), unlimited text, unlimited web, free weekends and nights.

Like I said before, it's not just about how much of a bargain the plan is, but will the $30 dollars more than T-Mo be justifiable for how I use the device? If I get more use of my phone because of 4G then great, I keep it, if not I'm back at T-Mo.

No more bitching for me, I'm just going in and test the waters for now.

AND THIS! Ladies and gents should be the response from anyone "upset" about the charge or displeased with the services from their carrier. GREAT POST

Upvote 0
He never said Wimax would be free though did he??

Funny how you missed the response the first time that you asked that. So I will kindly post it again:

At the :39 mark he says, "In essence what we're doing with 4G, is we're throwing in the HD channels for free, uh, because we're not charging any more, and we're giving customers more. You get more gigabytes, per month, in your rate plan, and you're going to be using a lot more gigabytes..."

Upvote 0
agreed, since sprint is the first to come out, they're setting a model (the wrong one) for other carriers when they release their 4g. i doubt verizon, att and tmobile will provide their 4g for free once they're out.
Verizon, att, and tmobile will offer their "4g" for free. They already are. HSPA+ is the connection block between 3g and lte. ATT and Tmobile is already giving out hspa+ for free.

The question will be, 5-10 years down the road, will lte-a be free.

Upvote 0
The unfortunate inevitability is that prices are always going to go up. Companies are always going to find new ways to nickel and dime people.

This is absolutely true. I don't think anyone would have been surprised by the $10 charge if Hesse wouldn't have flat out said there wouldn't be one.

My issues are as follows...

#1: Hesse flat out said there wouldn't be an extra charge.

#2: I don't have 4G around here anyway, so I'm basically paying for nothing.

#3: I already have an unlimited data plan. Despite people claiming there is some hidden 5GB cap, there is not. My plan description says unlimited, my account usage also shows unlimited, and I have went over 5GB plenty of times with no problems from Sprint (and my online usage still showed unlimited even when I was over 5 GB). So if I am already paying for unlimited, why should I get charged extra for the exact same service that I am already paying for?

#4: Sprint may have a legitimate reason to charge new customers that $10 fee. If it is actually cheaper than AT&T and Verizon, then those customers will probably feel it is still a bargain. I, however, am a current Sprint customer. So it is NOT cheaper than I am paying right now. The fact that it is cheaper than AT&T and Verizon means nothing to me because I am not an AT&T or Verizon customer. It is more than Sprint's current plans, and since I have a current Sprint plan, that means it is more expensive for me. And this is how Sprint thanks their current customers, right after the CEO said it wouldn't cost any extra?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones