• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hero acting up overnight on charge

CZSteve

Jun 9, 2010
I apparently had some trouble with my phone through the night.
Plugged the phone in on my desk last night via the home charger (factory charger).
This morning the indicator light was flashing between green & orange (I've seen this before when the phone gets too hot).

No response when trying to turn it on.
Opened the back to re-boot and noticed the inside was moderately wet. I promise I did not get mad and dunk this thing in the toilet... or get water in / on it in any way - very strange.

I wiped off the moisture and left the phone open until getting into the office. Still would not boot up and decided to charge it for a few minutes.
After a small charge the phone came back to life showing a completely dead battery.

I can only assume the processor was stuck running and overheated while charging last night.
The battey is stock and I have very few downloaded apps.
Only downloaded app that runs in the background is Weatherbug.

Thoughts?
Anyone else experience this problem?

Best,
Steve

Hmm, that is very strange. I have never heard of this phenomenon before. Can you confirm that the dampness was water or was it chemicals from the battery itself? If it is from the battery, I would replace it and it sounds like you may need to anyway as it could be defective.

The other thing to check is the USB cord and the AC adapter. They could be defective too. Try charging the battery via a USB port on your PC and see if it exhibits the same problem. You have to eliminate each possibility one at a time.

Upvote 0
Thanks LBP,

Seemed to be water moisture and not battery fluid / acid or anything oilly.
I've been charging this morning via USB and car charger - currently about @ 70%; battery temp is 95 degrees and battery health show good (according to Android Assistant).

Really weird finding the moisture. I would assume a hot phone / battery would dry up any moisture.
Phone was on a desk in a house. It was a little bit humid and have not had the AC on in the house yet. Would not think it was bad enough to cause moisture to build up.
I keep the phone in a belt holster just as I have for many years and never had a problem before.

Oh well; seems to be working OK now - I'll keep an eye on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones