• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero clock is confused about where I am

busboy789

Lurker
Nov 21, 2009
My phone gets confused about where I am while at home. I do not have a reliable Sprint signal at home and many times the phone is switching back and forth from Sprint to roam. The problem is that sometimes while roaming the phone thinks it is in another time zone.
Is there a way to force the clock to stay in my time zone?

I've had a lot of trouble with the HTC clocks. The standard shipping clock, the non-flip flip clock would do as you describe: frequently show an incorrect city and almost never show the weather at the actual current location. I have tried it with "use wireless network" checked and unchecked, and I always leave my GPS on.

I drove through Albany CA and it changed the time to East Coast time, which was interesting.

I switched to one of the smaller clocks and set the city to my location at home and have not had a problem since.

Upvote 0
I've had a lot of trouble with the HTC clocks. The standard shipping clock, the non-flip flip clock would do as you describe: frequently show an incorrect city and almost never show the weather at the actual current location. I have tried it with "use wireless network" checked and unchecked, and I always leave my GPS on.

I drove through Albany CA and it changed the time to East Coast time, which was interesting.

I switched to one of the smaller clocks and set the city to my location at home and have not had a problem since.

Is the smaller clock in the market or a widget already on our phones? I like that the weather is there too...but looks like I'll be changing lol

Upvote 0
I talked to a sprint person about this just this past weekend. It is a known bug which will be fixed in the next software update. For some reason when you add the clock widget and select "current location" it will find your city name, then base the timezone on that name, and it is not always correct.

Upvote 0
Workaround I did was to use a HTC widget clock set to my city (so the time wont change, its fixed to LA.)

Then added the smaller weather widget and set that to current city so the weather will update based on where I am.

I also like the small analog clock, when you unlock the phone, the hands will spins until it reaches the current time.

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies.
like the others the clock in the notification bar stays in my current time zone (Central), but the widget occasionally goes to Eastern time. I haven't noticed this when I'm not roaming for what it is worth.
I can live with the fluctuation at home, I was concerned about my alarm clocks. I'm guessing they go by the notification bar clock not the widget. At least I hope so.

Upvote 0
My problem is when I go to Long Beach, MS it thinks I'm in Long Beach, CA and changes me 2 hrs behind lol...bout to check that setting to make sure it's checked for me lol

I have a similar issue.
I work in Concord, MA. When I'm there, the Sense clock widget thinks it's in Concord, CA - a three hour time difference. It's just the HTC widget though, the phone itself keeps proper time.

From what I found, this bug is acknowledged by HTC. The widget gets confused when receiving a time signal from a tower that is not configured properly.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones