• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero doesnt want to go into Recovery Mode

So I guess the $ sign means I dont have root ??
but I did get my device listed, but when I give the command to reboot recovery, it says reboot is not recognized.
s'shot
View image: aircel 0
KT
Yeah mine shows a "#" when i type adb shell but yeah thats good you got your device listed this means you dont have to reinstall the drives. so ignore that link i posted.

Try rerooting i guess....I'm really sorry this is taking so long.

Upvote 0
OK so after $ sign I gave the command of reboot recovery, phone shut down, now starting, still at HTC logo but its only 2mins.. thsi is the magical moment.... ??
I ll wait for 10 mins and see if it goes in recovery mode.
KT
PS but if the $ sign means I dont have root, would it go into recovery mode at all ?
KT
Yeah it still would cause you can go into recover on stock, But yes it may be the magical moment :)

Upvote 0
this did not work. The only reason I can see I dont have "proper" root.
I had used Z4 and was able to install all normal root apps like Wifi tether and ROM Manager. I Had also confirmed the root with an app called rootchecker.
I tried Z4 again and of course it says rooted but I dont get into recovery.
any other *GOOD* way for me to root again ?
KT

Upvote 0
this did not work. The only reason I can see I dont have "proper" root.
I had used Z4 and was able to install all normal root apps like Wifi tether and ROM Manager. I Had also confirmed the root with an app called rootchecker.
I tried Z4 again and of course it says rooted but I dont get into recovery.
any other *GOOD* way for me to root again ?
KT
androot might work thats what i used.... Universal Androot 1.6.2 beta 5 ????

It's an apk so use a barcode scanner on your computer screen.

Upvote 0
aaaaa.jpg

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok so if reflashing the recovery doesn't work..And you get done downloading the RUU your gonna run the RUU from your computer with your hero plugged in. If you get any errors follow this guide.....

1) Open a command prompt and "cd" to the folder where your \sdk\tools\ folder and type in "adb devices" and hit enter and see if it sees your phone. If not then that's your problem. If it DOES see your phone then enter the following command
2) adb shell reboot oem-78 -- that will reboot your phone in to RUU-ready fastboot. If you had the RUU still open then close it. Then open it and try running again

Upvote 0
so I Reflashed the rec image ( which was successful via CWM ) but still the phone refuses to boot in recovery mode.
for some reason the home+power button does nothing to my hero, but volume down+power do and it gets stuck at HTC logo.
can you pls describe how can I make sure that the recovery image is actually on my sd card ?
Also should I try reroot or flash this RUU ( which I will need help with ) the RUU is downloading,
Should I Try 'alternate recovery' an option in ROM Manager ?
thanks again
KT

Upvote 0
so I Reflashed the rec image ( which was successful via CWM ) but still the phone refuses to boot in recovery mode.
for some reason the home+power button does nothing to my hero, but volume down+power do and it gets stuck at HTC logo.
can you pls describe how can I make sure that the recovery image is actually on my sd card ?
Also should I try reroot or flash this RUU ( which I will need help with ) the RUU is downloading,
Should I Try 'alternate recovery' an option in ROM Manager ?
thanks again
KT
So to actually know that there is a recovery image on you sdcard I'm not sure how to know and i'll research that, but yeah you should try flashing and alternate recovery like you said.

Upvote 0
So you can either flash an alternate recovery or do it manually.

Heres a link to a manual recovery image......http://androidspin.com/2009/11/07/amon_ra-sprint-cdma-based-hero-recovery-image-v123/

If you need help flashing it manually i have guide also :)

1. Find the recovery image you want and MAKE SURE IT IS FOR YOUR PHONE (should say in where you download it what phone it is for).
2. Write down the filename of the recovery image EXACTLY as it is written (i.e. RA-Hero-Recovery-v1.2.2.img).
3. Put the recovery image file on the SD card (not in any folders).
4. Download Terminal from the Market if you don’t already have it and install it (there are a few different terminals in the Market some have an onscreen keyboard and some don’t experiment till you get one, also hold down Menu in some of them to bring up the onscreen keyboard if you don’t see it).
5. Open the Terminal program and type the following (with hitting enter at the end of each line):
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-heroc-v1.2.3.img
6(make sure the .img is on the end).
7. Phone should pause for a second and then show you a new blank line. Turn it off and back on by holding down Home and Power to ensure it flashed correctly. Done.​

Upvote 0
so I Tried the alternate recovery on ROM Manager and rebooted in recovery, got stuck again.
Am D/L the recovery image that you pointed to, now.
For my knowledge sake,
> why do we need a recovery image ( does it help in recovering a phone if something goes bad ? )
> what do we need the phone to be in recovery mode ?
Thanks
KT

A recovery image is so you can make nandroid backups . So if your phone ever gets stuck in a boot loop you can go back to that previous state of your phone where it was actually working. Now if this manual way still doesn't work the only option is an RUU .

You can also flash custom roms from recovery also, and wipe your phone to nothingness just in case it is needed.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones