• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero doesnt want to go into Recovery Mode

I tried with just tools ( Instead of platform tools ) but I Don get adb shell or adb devices from there. I think its because ADB has moved to platform tools as mentioned in the text file in tools section
Qn: Can I flash a custom ROM without recovery image ? if so, what are the risks ?
if I dont like the new custom ROM, then I will have to put the stock ROM Back in anyways as we are planning to do now ?
KT

Upvote 0
I tried with just tools ( Instead of platform tools ) but I Don get adb shell or adb devices from there. I think its because ADB has moved to platform tools as mentioned in the text file in tools section
Qn: Can I flash a custom ROM without recovery image ? if so, what are the risks ?
if I dont like the new custom ROM, then I will have to put the stock ROM Back in anyways as we are planning to do now ?
KT

Yeah I'm pretty sure we can do this while your phone is in fastboot through adb. I also think we can make backups through adb, I just gotta find out the commands real quick. But the only risk is if you get your phone in a bootloop and haven't made a nandroid backup your gonna have to do a hard reset bringing your phone back to stock like you said.

Upvote 0
Ok so here is what i found on flashing a ROM through adb.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=625950

But i was thinking....when I do home+power on my hero it boots straight to recovery. You said it did nothing with yours at all. So that got me thinking that your recovery isn't flashed which doesn't make any sense cause I had you reflash it.

Upvote 0
OMG! I think i found out how to do this!!! After messing with my hero in command prompt for a while i found this.....

If you type: "adb shell" shows (#)Then you type "reboot bootloader" and it boots you right to the hboot without having to go through that stupid HTC logo screen. From here you press the volume up button and it boots you into recovery!

Upvote 0
yes, we reflashed the recovery image. the following is a summary of what we did.
>I flashed using CWM ( reported success by CWM ) tried to reboot into recovery using CWM, got stuck at HTC logo
> I Placed the recovery image generated in root of sd card, tried to reboot into recovery using CWM, got stuck at HTC logo
> D/L recovery image from XDA, tried to reboot into recovery using CWM and ADB, got stuck at HTC logo
> D/L recovery image from XDA, attempted reflash with terminal, got message that recovery image not found
IT seems like there is a problem with the phone recognizing that there is a recovery image on the SD card ( remember, recovery image not found message by terminal ) so that the phone doesnt have anything to load and hence doesnt start beyond HTC logo.
I Have also tried to boot into recovery using power+home but that
HOw ever if I use power+vol down, I get into a screen with options H BOOT
- Vol up for Fast Boot Mode
- Back for SIM Lock
- Home for recovery
FAST BOOT options:
- VOl Down - H BOot mode
- Menu - reset device
- Action- restart to H Boot

when I do the H Boot mode by wolume down, I get the following
SD checking....
Loading HERCDIAg.. well see this
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...isp=inline&realattid=1374628595796803584-1&zw
I think there is something intrinsically wrong here but am no a coder / programmer.

Ideas ?
KT

Upvote 0
OMG! I think i found out how to do this!!! After messing with my hero in command prompt for a while i found this.....

If you type: "adb shell" shows (#)Then you type "reboot bootloader" and it boots you right to the hboot without having to go through that stupid HTC logo screen. From here you press the volume up button and it boots you into recovery!

yep, I can get into that menu by doing the power+vol down key, problem is that when I do the vol down, I get that message, snapshot of which I have linked in the above post, and then the same menu within 1 sec
( Had to shoot 5 imges on continuous mode to get the snapshot.. lol )
KT

Upvote 0
yep, I can get into that menu by doing the power+vol down key, problem is that when I do the vol down, I get that message, snapshot of which I have linked in the above post, and then the same menu within 1 sec
( Had to shoot 5 imges on continuous mode to get the snapshot.. lol )
KT

Alright well ill check it out once I get home.

Upvote 0
ok, will I be able to upgrade to my current versions which are as follows
firmware 2.1 update 1
Baseband 2.42.03.10.29
Build 2.32.651.2
its just that I Dont want to lose the things / data / radio /favvs saved that I have on the phone and then do it all over.
So I am trying to exhaust every possible option out there. Sorry, I dont mean disrespect at all. on the other hand, I thank you and really appreciate your time.
I Remember you saying that without recovery we cant flash custom ROMs, just for my knowledge, what would happen if I tapped install ROM from SD and pointed to the cyanogen zip file ? ( other than risk of stuck in boot loop and obvious wiping of all data aka factory reset )
The RUU is D/ling now :)
KT

Upvote 0
ok, will I be able to upgrade to my current versions which are as follows
firmware 2.1 update 1
Baseband 2.42.03.10.29
Build 2.32.651.2
its just that I Dont want to lose the things / data / radio /favvs saved that I have on the phone and then do it all over.
So I am trying to exhaust every possible option out there. Sorry, I dont mean disrespect at all. on the other hand, I thank you and really appreciate your time.
I Remember you saying that without recovery we cant flash custom ROMs, just for my knowledge, what would happen if I tapped install ROM from SD and pointed to the cyanogen zip file ? ( other than risk of stuck in boot loop and obvious wiping of all data aka factory reset )
The RUU is D/ling now :)
KT

Haha its ok I'm the same way . But if you want to flash a custom ROM via adb your also going to have to wipe the phone. But the cool thing is if you go to settings>sync there you press sync all and now all your apps and contacts are synced with Google meaning once you start it up on cynogen or any other ROM you will have all your apps and contacts back.

Upvote 0
RUU D/L Done, where can I find some instructions now ?
let do this thing :D
KT
Alright now before you do that make sure you go to (settings>Accounts and sync) And hit sync all so you can get all your apps and contacts back on startup.

Basically with an RUU it's straight forward. Just double click the RUU while it's on your desktop and while your phone is plugged in, in charge mode and that should be all.

Upvote 0
yeah, doing that now, there seems to be a problem with my contacts sync, I jut found out that contacts have not synced since May !!!!! rest all ( mail / calender / google + ) syns fine.
QN: Once the RUU loads, will I be able tp upgrade to the 'current' latest versions ?
KT

You probably took it off auto sync lol. And i'm pretty sure It's the latest version ...

Upvote 0
yeah, but the RUU states that 2.31.651.7 and the current version on my phones build is 2.32.651.2.
Plus, I think I have another problem, I Tried to export the contact list, I get a folder, google_(mygmailID )_0001 but when I open it, it only shows 1 contact !!!!
Grrr
KT

Does it say something like psc_psc_00001.vcf ?
If it does then no need to worry that's all your contacts .

And i suppose it is the latest version then..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones