1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root hero, flashing problem no files on memory card!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AidanW, Jun 9, 2011.

1. AidanW

AidanW Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    Hi, I decided to flash my phone with a new custom ROM. Before flashing it my first action (and sad-fully my last at this moment in time :( ) was to 'copy' all of my memory card contents to my PC. In hindsight I realised that i didn't copy them, in fact i moved them, resulting in no files on my memory card.
    Now whenever i turn my phone on it gets stuck on the VILLAINROM screen- (Free your android) which is just after the initial HTC logo animation.
    I'm guessing that this is because it doesn't have any of the files needed for it to start? I.E- no ROM file?
    Any idea's of how i can get the files back onto the memory card so it can reboot again? I can't connect it to my PC and view them in my computer :/ because normally that's something you need to select. Any help?
    PS, I tried a nandroid backup, and it said something along the lines of no nandroid backup to backup!

Your help is desperately needed!
    Regards, A

Advertisement

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Having a balnk sdcard shouldn't stop it from booting; no critical files are stored on there. But reguardless of what caused it, here's what you need to do:

- Switch the phone off by pulling the battery.
    - Boot the phone whilst holding Home + Power, to reboot into the recovery menu.
    - From there you'll have the option to mount your sdcard as USB storage. The location will differ depending on which recovery menu you're using - did you use clockwork or amon ra?
    - Then you can put all your files on your sdcard again. Make sure you redownload whichever firmware file you were running and put that new .zip on the sdcard.
    - Unmount the sdcard
    - Do a factory reset from the recovery menu.
    - Flash your redownloaded custom firmware .zip.
    - Reboot and it should start properly.

In the future, you don't need to empty your sdcard when chaning firmware. What you do need to do is this:

- Backup any apps and data you want to restore to your new firmware
    - Boot to recovery
    - Do a nandroid backup - that saves a complete backup of your current firmware in case you have a problem such as this one.
    - Do a factory reset
    - Flash the new firmware
    - Reboot.

If you're only installing a small update to a rom, you can always skip step number one and replace the factory reset with a a dalvik cache wipe. That wont wipe any of your data :)

3. AidanW

AidanW Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    hi, thanks for your reply. Enable ESB-MS? done that- "USB-MS enabled! Press home to disable and return to menu". Please note, i can't do anything else except disabling it, pressing return does nothing.
    Now when im plugging it in, the phone/pc doesn't seem to even recognise its plugged in anymore. The charge light which is normally on when plugged in isnt.
    I used Amon ra I think although it was years ago when i first rooted but im pretty sure its this.
    The exact error message when i try to restore/flash/etc is as follows-
    "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0
    p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
    (No such file or directory)
    E:Can't mount SDCARD:"

4. AidanW

AidanW Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    hang on, scrap that about the charging light- its come on just now!

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    So, what exactly was your phone doing before you did this?

Was it running a custom rom already? Was it using apps2sd?

And did you actually flash anything new today or is it your old firmware that won't boot?

6. AidanW

AidanW Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    Before i started yesterday, it was running fine like normal.
    Yes I think it was VillainROM 12, or something similar to that, as far as im aware yes it was running apps2sd.
    I haven't got to the flashing stage yet, its still my old firmware that wont reboot!

7. AidanW

AidanW Member
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    problem solved!

Tags: