1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Hero freezes using camera etc.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Nightwing, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Nightwing

Nightwing New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Hi

I've had my HTC Hero (european, danish version) for 2 months now, having no problems at all.

When I take a picture with the camera, the Hero freezes completely. The only way to get in contact with it again is to remove the battery and reboot.

I suspect it has something to do with writing (large amounts of) data to the SD card. A similar problem occurs when I try to trace my own applications - when a tracefile is dumped to the SD card, it also freezes.

I'm able to install/remove applications with no problems, and my Hero's been running for more than a month without booting (not using the camera of course).

The SD card is the standard 2 Gb card shipped with the Hero. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks,
    Thomas

Advertisement

2. Nightwing

Nightwing New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I tried working a bit more on this problem. I thought that it might be a problem with the file system on the SD card, so I tried to copy a 100 mb of data to the SD card while mounted on Linux. This also froze the phone.

Then I tried repairing the file system with the fsck.vfat command in Linux, but it still didn't work. Finally I tried the chkdsk utility on Windows XP, and after a run, it seems that my SD card is working again.

So I mounted the phone on Windows, and in the command prompt I wrote:

chkdsk /F /R F:

... having the phone mounted on F:

So, it seems to have done the trick ... for now, at least. Maybe my SD card is unstable ... but it seems that it indeed was a problem with the FAT16 file system.

/Thomas

3. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Software engineer
    UK
    Glad we could help :D

4. Nightwing

Nightwing New Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Couldn't have done it without you! :p

5. Carlos Queiros

Carlos Queiros New Member

Apr 18, 2011
    It happens with mine also.
    In my case it only happens if I have the auto brightness of the phone display) turned to "ON" :s

Tags: