• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero freezes using camera etc.

Nightwing

Lurker
Dec 14, 2009
Hi

I've had my HTC Hero (european, danish version) for 2 months now, having no problems at all.

When I take a picture with the camera, the Hero freezes completely. The only way to get in contact with it again is to remove the battery and reboot.

I suspect it has something to do with writing (large amounts of) data to the SD card. A similar problem occurs when I try to trace my own applications - when a tracefile is dumped to the SD card, it also freezes.

I'm able to install/remove applications with no problems, and my Hero's been running for more than a month without booting (not using the camera of course).

The SD card is the standard 2 Gb card shipped with the Hero. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks,
Thomas

I tried working a bit more on this problem. I thought that it might be a problem with the file system on the SD card, so I tried to copy a 100 mb of data to the SD card while mounted on Linux. This also froze the phone.

Then I tried repairing the file system with the fsck.vfat command in Linux, but it still didn't work. Finally I tried the chkdsk utility on Windows XP, and after a run, it seems that my SD card is working again.

So I mounted the phone on Windows, and in the command prompt I wrote:

chkdsk /F /R F:

... having the phone mounted on F:

So, it seems to have done the trick ... for now, at least. Maybe my SD card is unstable ... but it seems that it indeed was a problem with the FAT16 file system.

/Thomas

Upvote 0
Hi

I've had my HTC Hero (european, danish version) for 2 months now, having no problems at all.

When I take a picture with the camera, the Hero freezes completely. The only way to get in contact with it again is to remove the battery and reboot.

I suspect it has something to do with writing (large amounts of) data to the SD card. A similar problem occurs when I try to trace my own applications - when a tracefile is dumped to the SD card, it also freezes.

I'm able to install/remove applications with no problems, and my Hero's been running for more than a month without booting (not using the camera of course).

The SD card is the standard 2 Gb card shipped with the Hero. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks,
Thomas
It happens with mine also.
In my case it only happens if I have the auto brightness of the phone display) turned to "ON" :s

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones