• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero in the UK - only Orange?

Mansn

Jun 14, 2009
UK
I was just wondering about what network providers will be carrying the HTC Hero in the UK. I am a little worried, as I know that Orange currently charges silly amounts for data, and I don't want to spend more than 35 pounds per month on a contract over 18 months.

If Orange decides to charge 40 pounds per month, I might just buy the Hero unlocked ...

I was just wondering about what network providers will be carrying the HTC Hero in the UK. I am a little worried, as I know that Orange currently charges silly amounts for data, and I don't want to spend more than 35 pounds per month on a contract over 18 months.

If Orange decides to charge 40 pounds per month, I might just buy the Hero unlocked ...

T-Mobile are getting it to but they are calling it the MyTouch 3G.
as for the prcing well T-Mobile will start pre registration on the 8th of july so their prices will be out then i guess.

it is on the Orange web site but no proces yet.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile are selling it as the G1-Touch, as a successor to the G1 (which was the first Android phone in the UK, by HTC and it has a physical keyboard). They probably couldn't call it the G2 because that will cause confusion when Android 2.0 comes out. I really wish networks wouldn't do these renames, it only serves to dilute the brand value and cause confusion.

I think T-Mobile are selling black ones and I know Orange are selling graphite ones. The white ones are demos or sim-free ones, like on Amazon (for preorder).

mytouch 3G is the Magic, as named by some network in the USA. See? It just messes things up. Grr.

Upvote 0
T-Mobile are selling it as the G1-Touch, as a successor to the G1 (which was the first Android phone in the UK, by HTC and it has a physical keyboard). They probably couldn't call it the G2 because that will cause confusion when Android 2.0 comes out. I really wish networks wouldn't do these renames, it only serves to dilute the brand value and cause confusion.

I think T-Mobile are selling black ones and I know Orange are selling graphite ones. The white ones are demos or sim-free ones, like on Amazon (for preorder).

mytouch 3G is the Magic, as named by some network in the USA. See? It just messes things up. Grr.
That's what ive heard its called. I think they shouldn't have named it that though. The name implies that it is exactly the same as the G1 except that it had no QWERTY keyboard. And since they look very similar it would be my first conclusion if I didn't already know better. There are many differences apart from it not having a QWERTY keyboard so it really shouldn't even be associated with the G1. It is a completly different phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones