• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HERO internal memory

mez

Sep 16, 2009
UK
so i've had the hero for a while now and have a few questions as i've finally got to the point where i have to start deleting apps before installing new ones.

The HTC HERO has 512mb of Rom and from what ive read this is split between the OS and the space you have for apps.

1. how much space do you actually have to store apps?
from the 512 how much is OS space and how much is App space

2. can you install apps to SD without rooting? I think the answer to this is no but im unsure.

3. when HTC have finished adding sense to Eclair 2.0 and when orange have finished breaking 2.0 will 2.0 let me install apps to SD with an official ROM not a rooted one.

last thing, i use astro file manager, which has a SD card usage bit which tells you how much of the memory card is being used for what, and my old SE phone had a thing that told me how much memory is being used by SMS how much by APPS how much by etc etc ... is there anything in the app market that will do this?

1. how much space do you actually have to store apps?

Settings - SD card & phone
storage - Internal phone storage
shows how much is available.

2. can you install apps to SD without rooting? I think the answer to this is no but im unsure.

No.

3. will 2.0 let me install apps to SD with an official ROM not a rooted one.

I'm certainly not aware of any plans for this.

Upvote 0
Is Internal Memory same as Internal Phone Storage? I have only installed three Apps other than those that came with the Sprint HTC Hero: StreamFurious, Shopsavvy and Adv Task Killer. I dont use bluetooth or wifi. I only use this phone to make calls and send messages using stock messenger since there are so many issues going on with this model. I have total of 94 messages received in stock messenger. I may have used it to access Google Maps once or twice and visit three websites just for play. No serious browsing.

My question is: if I use this phone only for these two purposes why is my Internal Phone Storage going down by 2 MB everyday? I have restarted my phone many-a-times but I still can't reclaim it.

What are different ways to reclaim this memory other than uninstalling Apps (I am assuming here)? Does clearing cache & data in Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications reclaim this memory?

I have also read that once this memory goes way too low, not even a hard reset can free it and phone has to be exchanged. Is this true?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones