• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero is awesome, HTC SUCKS!!

KCaudell

Nov 28, 2009
OK here's my gripe. I love the Hero for it's functionality but I hate HTC for STILL not having sync capabilities with any Windows 64 bit operating system.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING HTC!!! I've emailed them asking for help and I get some stupid corporate response. In this day and age it's stupid that there is not 64 bit support.

This is one of the most irresponsible corporate lapses that I've seen. It seems like they just don't care. I bought the phone and spent the money..... and you just don't care.

I'll look for another company selling an Android phone. iPhone doesn't have this problem. I guess that defines who's the better company.

OK here's my gripe. I love the Hero for it's functionality but I hate HTC for STILL not having sync capabilities with any Windows 64 bit operating system.

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING HTC!!! I've emailed them asking for help and I get some stupid corporate response. In this day and age it's stupid that there is not 64 bit support.

This is one of the most irresponsible corporate lapses that I've seen. It seems like they just don't care. I bought the phone and spent the money..... and you just don't care.

I'll look for another company selling an Android phone. iPhone doesn't have this problem. I guess that defines who's the better company.

Your naivety is laughable. I hope the above poster finds a solution for you.

Upvote 0
Hello All --- for what its worth, I have been running HTC Sync on Win 7 - 64 bit for some time. Today, I just noticed the latest update, and did that, with little apparent change. (ver. 2.0.33) ---

I have just been moving files on and off of the SD card and the sync function appears to work fine (no errors anyway) albiet I am not doing any heavy application sync like Outlook, etc.

KCaudell, what kind of problem did you see on your system?? Error message? Crash? Would be very interested in learning what you experienced.

Cheers / Regards -- Bob ;)

Upvote 0
Kelmar, thanks again. I want to sync my business contacts utilizing (hopefully someday) ACT, but more likely Outlook. I know that I can use Google but I use Outlook at work and don't want to have multiple contact managers. I also don't want to have to pay for a sync in real time that I can do manually as needed.

If you have a better strategy, I'm all ears. Does anyone have experience with ACT?

I have another issue with all contact managers for smartphones. They all treat contacts/calendars/tasks as seperate databases instead of a single database that calls on the same contact information and creates a history. When I enter a calendar event with a contact and I make notes in that meeting, and assign future follow up, this information exists in three different areas with no common link.

Again, thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm not familiar with ACT, though I'm sure there is some way to export the contacts and. add them to your phone.

Yeah, the calendar/memo features on the phone are lacking, but I prefer pen and paper so it doesn't bother me. I think someone has mentioned an app to help with the calendar issue, but since I don't use it....

Upvote 0
Hey Bob, I was just loading the drivers thinking that it would load the sync software and when I tried to link, it didn't. The USB connection sound generated but no link existed. I couldn't even see the phone as a system drive.

Hi KCaudell -- just waking up here and saw ur note. If you have installed the HTC Sync software correctly, it also installs the drivers too for your PC. Once the software is installed, all you need to do is connect your phone via USB and the drivers will find the phone and you will see the USB symbol on the status bar at the top of the Hero screen. Then, pull down that status bar, and tap the line to turn on USB storage followed by the window that lets you MOUNT the SD card.

Once you select those items, the card should then appear as a USB drive on your PC. If everything has been selected correctly, you can double check by going back and checking the "Total space" and "Available space" data which should say "Unavailable" if the SD card is connected to the PC.

Apply the reverse procedure to unmount the SD card and reconnect it to the Hero. If the SD is connected correctly back to the Hero, the above parameters now show you the actual numbers for total and available space.

Hope this helps --- Cheers ---- Bob :D

Upvote 0
KCaudell, there is a major flaw in HTC Sync other than getting it to work properly. It is not a two way sync, it will only download from Outlook, changes made in the phone won't upload to Outlook. I believe it is two way with an Exchange server, but I don't want to have to pay more money to have one. This has been my biggest single let down on this phone yet.

I don't know whether it will sync with ACT or not, it is not mentioned anywhere.

Upvote 0
Kelmar, thanks again. I want to sync my business contacts utilizing (hopefully someday) ACT, but more likely Outlook. I know that I can use Google but I use Outlook at work and don't want to have multiple contact managers. I also don't want to have to pay for a sync in real time that I can do manually as needed.

If you have a better strategy, I'm all ears. Does anyone have experience with ACT?

I have another issue with all contact managers for smartphones. They all treat contacts/calendars/tasks as seperate databases instead of a single database that calls on the same contact information and creates a history. When I enter a calendar event with a contact and I make notes in that meeting, and assign future follow up, this information exists in three different areas with no common link.

Again, thank you for your help.

I use ACT and outlook both at work and I know you can link ACT and outlook then sync them with exchange. I personally don't have them linked b/c I don't want 3500+ contacts on my phone.

Upvote 0
WOW!! Aside from one poster, you're all awesome. Thank you for the help!!

But, sadly, no luck. My phone recognizes that it's linked via USB, fresh Win7x64 install, HTC Sync, version: 2.0.33, HTC USB cable, but to no avail. My phone firmware is v 1.5. Apollomaker, are you using Android v1.5?

Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0
momoceio, yes it shows up in Device Manager. Excellent question and I hadn't looked yet. I tried to update the driver and it said I had the most current and it was seeing it as drive L. I went to Disk Management and drive L was listed but with No Media.

The puzzle continues. Thanks to those who've been constructive.

Kelvin

Upvote 0
I would assume that if the phone recognizes it, then it should be ok. My understanding is that if it's a new card, it should be formatted in the phone.

Have you tried un/reinstalling Sync? I know the FIRST time I set it up on my desktop computer it didn't work but after un/reinstalling it worked fine.

***Just guesses***

Upvote 0
Well shit.... ummm... I'm not sure what to tell you now.

On you phone you can drag down the notification bar at the top of the screen. When you connect the phone to the computer, can you drag that down and select anything that says to sync with the computer (or something like that)?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones