• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero keeps malfunctioning

jmflint

Nov 13, 2009
I don't even know what search words to put in for this, but I did try to browse through the forum before posting...

I am having a helluva time with the HTC Hero (Sprint). I love the phone, but then it does things like force closing the PHONE APP. I am looking at a phone with "No Service" because it forced closed the too-long-a-name-to-type application that runs the friggin' phone.

It also force closed a whole bunch of other things.

And now, if I look at the running apps, it looks like it loaded 12-15 apps upon start-up!! I *know* this can't be right, but I don't know what to do.

This is the second time this happened to me -- the first time, I ended up wiping out the entire thing and starting from scratch. That did NOT make me happy. Now it looks like I'll have to do that again because I can't USE THE PHONE.

Sorry, I'm just beside myself and I don't know how to explain what's happening. It looks like I'll have to make a trip to Sprint, but if anyone has any insight, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance --

JM Flint

JM Flint,

I was experiencing similar problems, but i found the solution to be keeping Advanced Task Killer from running it's "auto-end" service on programs. it was basically ending all non-excluded apps when a certain memory level was met (Strange I thought it was based on time frequency), and note that there were some Android processes like the Phone that are impossible to find in ATK to add "exclude" setting. I would disable your task manager first, reboot, and see how that goes.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have installed apps -- kinda would defeat the purpose of this phone if I didn't. ;)

I am running Advanced Task Killer with default settings; I will look at those now. However, is "ending" a program the same as "force closing" a program? The force close I'm getting is the type of "unexpectedly quit" message I'm used to seeing on Microsoft products (shudder).

I *think* the commonality is that the phone's battery died, and after the recharge is when I lost all phone functions.

Upvote 0
jmflint, i had the same problem as u are having. unfortunatly i dont know the answer to the problem.

It all happened when my phone died, i plugged it in and it started up but force closed a lot of programs that i did not know of. It also said i had no service and could not make calls, get on the net...

i took it to sprint and they reset my fone back to new. I became more careful on what apps i got from the market and what i closed with the Task Manager.

2 days ago, my phone died and when i plugged it in to start it up, everything worked, but the icons for Movies, Advanced Task Manager, and Where were all differenet or missing... i dont know whats causing these problems, but i am experiencing this as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones