• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero Memory questions..

GibsonD90

Jan 24, 2010
I've had my Hero since Christmas and I'm starting to get the "low memory" icon in the status bar occasionally. I still have the 2 GB card that came with the phone, but I am considering upgrading. My questions are

What kinds of things are stored on the card? If I buy a new card will all of my apps and info on them (gamesaves and such) be deleted? How can I transfer the items over if so.

Is it only my music/pictures and such that is kept on the SD card? Is the low memory icon only referring to internal memory and not the SD card.
How can I avoid this problem? If I have say an 8 GB card, I should have plenty of room for apps, even if the phone is full.

Apps are not currently able to be put on your SD card. Pretty much the only thing on there is your pics and music. To help clear out your internal memory go to menu<settings<applications<manage applications and clear out all of the caches you can. Also you may want to delete any unneccesary apps. Also install "internal memory widget" from the market, it will help you monitor when you need to clear your caches or delete some apps.

Upvote 0
apps CAN be put on your phone, if you root and format the card correctly, then flash a rom with apps2sd enabled. Not worth the trouble in my opinion.

Check your internal memory like the poster above me states, and make sure you're not over about 70 apps downloaded, as that seems to be a trigger point for errors for some reason

Upvote 0
Question: When is the Hero supposed to automatically notify you when your SD card is low?

My Hero's SD card was somehow down to a few MB when the Mail app filled up the darn card...as a result, the phone stopped working well. It even stopped notifying me or showing me voice mails! It wasn't until a week later when I realized the issue and cleaned out the SD card that I got a ton of missed voice mail notifications that suddenly showed up!

I never saw any kind of low memory warning at all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones