1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hero Ntelos

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cell2011, May 23, 2011.

1. cell2011

cell2011 Android Enthusiast

Im buying a used Hero cdma and it has 2.1 on it right now. I want to root it to Cynaogen 7 2.3 Gingerbread. I want to find someone thats on the east coast here that can do it. Im in WV i want to make sure that rooting this to this Rom wont mess up the Ntelos software im using this on a monthy prepaid plan. Can someone help. Should i get the plan first then root or root first? PM me with your email if you can help. I cant pay much but would pay something Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thread moved to the Sprint/CDMA Hero section.

EDIT: I also deleted your post in the HTC Hero section - that section is for GSM phones only.

3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert

I am pretty sure you can root with Z4Root with no issues on the nTelos version of our handset. The same goes for CyanogenMod 7 as I helped a friend with the same handset as you and it worked great. If you want interactive help, go into the IRC channel and I will help you: http://androidforums.com/irc.php .

EDIT: I see you have not purchased the handset yet. I would get it if you want to accomplish what you asked for above. I can still help you if you want.

4. rb312102

rb312102 Android Enthusiast

Donb sent a copy of your message to me and lbp. It's really easy to get you rooted and running a custom rom. When you get the phone one of us will be around to help you through it step by step if need be. So just let us know when you get it.

5. cell2011

Can i still send this to someone if i dont want to take a chance on rooting this? z4 is not around ? Im in WV

6. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

You do not need to send it to anyone, all the files you need we will get you and walk you through it, just let us know when you are ready, it will be fine, don't sweat it bro.

7. DonB

Here is something for you to read in the meantime until you are ready to take the plunge. ;)

First time rooting.. need steps.

Time to root my Hero

Here is another great thread with all root info

Sticky: "Lots useful root info"

This will give you an idea C&P from RB

None of it is done on your computer all you need is your phone.
    1. Download z4root with your phone.
    2. Once you have it downloaded go to the market and download a file manager(astro or es file explorer).
    3. Open the file manager
    4. Find the download folder in the file manager open it and select z4root
    5. Then install it.
    6. Goto to your apps and open z4root and choose permanent root(It will go through its thing and say rebooting. If it does not reboot simply power off and go to your apps and see if it installed the app superuser. If not run z4root again until it installs superuser)
    7. Once you have super user go to the market and download rom manager
    8. Open rom manager, allow superuser when prompted
    9. The top of that app will be flash clockworkmod recovery, press it
    10. Once it says it was successfully flashed, choose to reboot to recovery.
    11. Once in recovery scroll down to backup/restore click the trackball
    12.Now click backup, this will make a nandroid of your current setup ****very important*****
    13. Now go back and reboot your phone and it will be just as you left it.
    Now you are ready to flash a rom let me know when you get this far and we can help you get ready to do that.

8. cell2011

Ok cool and i would be able to get the latest of cyano and ginger? And no problems with the software i would be using Ntelos network

9. DonB

Yes you will, read the info I gave you to get acclimated with the terms, and then download the Z4Root app from the link I gave you to your desktop, then later on tonight we will walk you through the process, you will be able to do this.

10. cell2011

Cool i dont have the phone yet i think it will be shipped today and i would like the same setup you have seems like you have all the latest is that correct? This is all stable right no lag? Thanks

11. DonB

Yes very stable, and no lag, and it flies, you will love it, in the meantime, download these files to your desktop so you have them when you are ready,

Z4ROOT ONE CLICK

AOSP GB 2.3.4 Rom
    May 23-2011 Release
    aospCMod-HEROC-20110523-signed.zip

Google applications
    gapps-gb-20110325-signed.zip

cell2011 likes this.
  12. cell2011

Ok grt the z4 comes out as Attachment 5 correct? Ive got the other two and ready on desktop.

13. DonB

No, here just click this and it will download the APK file to your desktop, this is all you need, z4root.1.3.0.apk

14. cell2011

Ill be on talk and text and web. Would i save more battery being on web or wifi? Im in a rural area here in WV but the best towers here are Sprint

15. cell2011

Oh i know it just that it came out attachment 5.php for me im sure its fine.

16. cell2011

I have 7zip is that ok? Also would i compress the file

17. DonB

Wifi uses a little more battery, but you can keep it in the charger when at home, you will be fine, and the Z4Root will be attached in a zip file and yes you can use anyone of the apps to unzip it, that file needs to be unzipped before we have you put it on on your phone for installing, when you unzip it it will be a APK file extension.

18. DonB

I just flashed the latest release from last night myself.

19. cell2011

Ok great all ready to unzip. Thanks ill keep in touch soon as i get my phone.

20. LBPHeretic

Ah, I got a Private Message from DonB about this fellow. It looks like they have already helped you out.

I would be glad to assist you on the IRC channel if you need further help. I am sitting in there now. I gave you the link to it in my previous post above. Just stop by and I can help you out. You should never have to pay someone to root and flash a ROM on your handset. Half the fun of rooting is doing it yourself and learning the process.

21. LBPHeretic

Not to disagree with you, DonB, but in my experience Wi-Fi actually saves battery over 3G. I have done several experiments and can attest to the fact that it will definitely last longer if you are using Wi-Fi more than 3G, at least for me it does.

Wi-Fi signals are stronger because they are closer, so your handset has to do less work to maintain a signal, not to mention the bandwidth is higher, so you are actually getting your data faster and more efficiently than with 3G. On the flip side, 3G towers are further away and afford lower bandwidth than Wi-Fi, which means the handset has to work harder and longer to achieve the same data downloads and uploads.

22. DonB

Very possible, I have a Sprint cell site 150 yards away, so I have no issues with 3G here at home ;)

23. LBPHeretic

That would probably account for your good 3G efficiency. I have full 3G reception myself as well around here as there is a tower just down the road, but Wi-Fi will always be more efficient no matter how you slice it. ;)

My sister has lousy reception at her house and I instructed her to leave Wi-Fi on at all times while at home, and her battery life increased dramatically on her Verizon Motorola Droid X. It was more efficient for her handset to sit on her Wi-Fi network all day than have it constantly trying to maintain a weak 3G signal. :)

24. cell2011

Ive got my phone finally but no z4root on the market. Ive downloaded all i need on PC. Do i extract all files? Also when i plug in USB it notices phone but also says disk drive not sure about that. Where do i go? Can someone go into chat with me if youre not busy. Ty

25. cell2011

I just downloaded unrevoked to my phone where do i go from there?

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews