1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root Hero on 3 UK

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Starfall, May 28, 2010.

1. Starfall

Starfall Member

May 17, 2010
    Okay so, there is one outcome I want and that is to be running 2.2 on my Hero.

I'm on 3 UK network and it seems pretty hard to root and flash my rom seeing as its a 3 specific rom.

I heard that European Hero owners will be getting an update to Android 2 (some say 2.1 other say 2.2) anybody know any news about this?

Or does anybody have any advice on how I can reach 2.2 or 2.1?

(P.S the 'root in one click' method doesn't work)

Starfall

Advertisement

2. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    you need to gold card it first m8 so you canb downgrade your firmware first , i too are on 3 and just done mine the other day.

Starfall likes this.
  3. Starfall

Starfall Member

May 17, 2010
    Ah okay, thanks will :)
    Any advice on how i can do this?
    i tried following a guide before but ended up quitting half way through, it was getting late haha

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Nobody is running 2.2 yet really. There've been a few attempts to port the nexus one ROM to the hero but it's hardly functional. Proper ones should appear soon enough though.

5. Starfall

Starfall Member

May 17, 2010
    Ah that's a shame, but fair enough, It'd just be nice to get to 2.0 at least, it's a bit off topic, but what's considered the 'best' ui replacement now? (btter home, home++ etc) it's one of the main reasons i want to get to 2.0

Thanks for the reply, I don't suppose you know of any guides to make a gold card? as the guide i was following had a certain step with a link, but it appears the site that was linked is no longer providing the utility needed to create a gold card, thanks once again :)

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    Would that me qmat by any chance? The people who make that software have released a new version of the software with a different name, which will reverse the code for you.

Phone System Analysis Software - PSAS | The successor of QMAT The free version is the one you want :)

Oh and a lot of people like LauncherPro. It's not really a fully featured hope replacement like better home, it doesn't bring any new features, but it's a pretty nice launcher.

Starfall likes this.
  7. Starfall

Starfall Member

May 17, 2010
    Thank you very much! I'm guessing this is all the software i need to have installed to create a gold card? I already have the correct drivers including adb installed. and i assume i need a micro SD adapter to use with my computer too?

8. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 1, 2009
    UK
    I think you can make it by mounting it in the phone, although I didn't have any luck doing it that way and ended up using an adapter.

This website can reverse the string too if you don't want to bother installing software: Soaa.me - (write down, copy, paste, and then) One-click hex reverse for GoldCard creation

You'll also need a hex editor to copy the code from your goldcard.img to the SD card too.

This page links you to all the different software, if you need it. How To: Downgrade Your HTC Hero So It Can Be Rooted (Updated 02.05.10) | The Unlockr

Starfall likes this.
  9. will65mcmanus

will65mcmanus Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
  10. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    UK
    2.1 will be around in June. I'm waiting at the moment but will not wait for ever. ;)

11. Starfall

Starfall Member

May 17, 2010
    Thanks for the replies :)
    I have successfully rooted my Hero, and currently downloading villain 6.0 to flash to, then going to update to 6.1

Thanks for all the help!

Tags: