• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero or Moment??

I dont really know what I expect to find out from you guys. I have read all the threads, reviews, new stories, specs, etc., on the Hero and Moment. But for the life of me, I cant decide between the 2. I dont care about keyboards, real or virtual--I can use either. What matters to me the MOST is which will give me the best performance, speed wise, and the best Internet experience. I will be on the Sprint network as I have been for 11 years. I guess I am looking for "informed, experienced opinions." :)

Thanks

Gizmodo

hmm...interesting screen name.

The Moment will provide you with raw power but a bland experience.

The Hero will provide you with an excellent interface (sense ui) and mediocre performance.

I could never go away from the sense ui...the standard android os is crappy by comparison.

agreed

i picked up the hero for really the sense ui running on top on android

Upvote 0
My brother has a Moment and I have a Hero. Both are very good phones and I like them both. After rooting my phone, installing Fresh's rom and the optimizations package, my phone is running as smooth and as fast as my brother's Moment. The battery life is better on my Hero since installing the update and using Handcent. The Moment is also much heavier than my Hero. That's a biggie for me. I was tired of having heavy brick looking phones all the time. Either way you choose, you will have a great phone. Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0
It's a matter of preference, but I'll say this. I have the Hero and my wife pretty much knew all about it since I did a lot of research before I got it and I told her about it. She felt she needed a real keyboard, so we researched the Moment. She decided that's what she wanted. When she first got it, she liked it. But after a few weeks of using it and getting a real world experience of how it compared to my Hero, she decided to switch for the following reasons.

1) Size - She initially didn't mind the extra size that the keyboard added to the Moment, but after a while she appreciated the size of the Hero and felt the Moment was just too bulky.

2) SenseUI - She loves the SenseUI widgets compared to stock Android. I went so far as to find out how to get the SenseUI look on stock Androids with a few paid apps. However, she is sold on how SensUI is integrated into the Hero.

3) Social Networking - She uses Facebook a lot and likes how you can link FB into you Hero's contact list.

So after a week of using the Hero, she loves it. As I said from the start though, it's a matter of preference. The Moment is a good device in it's own right.

Upvote 0
why would you make your screen name Gizmodo and then ask for input from forum members on which phone to buy? as a devout Gizmodo reader -- i think that's pretty weak. gizmodo.com has already answered your question.

I am 57 years old. My grandfather, long departed, gave me that nickname when I was 5 years old except we spelled it gizmeauxdeaux--Cajun French. I shortened it when signing actual handwritten letters to my grandparents through the years. Yes I wrote with a pen and my hand-on paper no less:D. Gizmodo.com came along quite a bit later I believe. Though I work for Microsoft, my field is software--not cell phones. And if I get the wrong phone, I will hear about it for 2 years from my tech-challenged wife;)
So, I apologize if my screen name is somehow troubling to you. Might I suggest you get a girlfriend..or at least, watch The Big Bang Theory:D

Sincerely,

Gizmeauxdeaux (there, feel better?)

Upvote 0
Well this Saturday, I got 2 more of the family switched over from AT&T to Sprint. 1 with with the Hero and the other went with the Moment. So in the family, thats 3 with the Hero, 1 with the Moment, 1 still with AT&T, and 1 with MetroPCS.

After playing with it for a while, the Moment isn't that bad, I personnally do not like it since it doesn't have HTC Sense. But overall its not a bad phone.

TS

Upvote 0
This kind of reminds me of the scene in To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar where they're choosing between style (grand old Cadillac land yacht convertable) or substance (Toyota Corolla). lol j/k.

I came from an iPhone 3G S and have been happy with the Hero. I needed to get away from AT&T. At any rate, I tried the Moment first and while it seemed like an ok phone, I found a couple of things annoying:

- The standard Android on-screen keyboard is USELESS on any phone. HTC's customized keyboard is the best on-screen keyboard I've seen, except for the iPhone's and it is pretty close. This for me was a huge deal.

- The Moment's screen seemed a bit sluggish in recording taps which, along with the keyboard issue above, made the phone hard to use.

- The hardware keyboard isn't all it's cracked up to be and it makes the phone bulkier and less inviting to the hand and pocket than the Hero.

- The screen on the Moment is nice...but not nice enough to override all of the other things that the Hero does better.

Overall, I don't notice a performance difference between the two. The Moment has a faster processor but the Hero has 32mb more RAM which could come in handy.

YMMV, but that's my $.02 (and my first post).

Matt

Upvote 0
Thank you, thank you! I totally agree. I just returned my Moment and am waiting for upgrade reset to get the Hero. Although very bright, was awfully boring. Thought the HW keyboard would make it worth the difference, but could not type very will with my thumbs on it--had to set it down and use my fingers while holding the top screen so it would not wobble--awkward. I ended up primarily using the virtual keyboard, which in my opinion stunk--had quite a bit of lag. The slide out keyboard was not tight at all on the phone I was sent. It would slip open in my purse or when taking a picture. From what I have heard though, that is not common. Otherwise, it was a great phone though--very hard to finally send it in--...just really want the Hero!

Upvote 0
On a whim, I decided to go to the local Sprint store this afternoon just to do another side-by-side comparison of the Hero and Moment. While there, the manager said to me, "You can have either phone today and today only for 69.95." I asked if that was with a hundred dollar rebate and she said no. I quickly scarfed up 2 Hero's!! Turns out they were matching a Best Buy special sale. Anyway, I have been playing with my Hero all afternoon and evening and I have got to say this is the BEST phone I have ever owned!!! I have downloaded some apps that come highly recommended on this site, appkiller being the first one I obtained. Ironically, my wife did not like the Hero because she says she needs a physical keyboard so I will be exchanging her Hero for a Moment, tomorrow...after a $35 restocking fee. So I will get to play with a Moment quite extensively before it is over. (I must read the book, learn what is needed, and then teach the little lady how to use it.) Too bad she doesn't like the Hero as much as I do. Awesome phone! Thanks for your input. I know I have made a good decision!

Gizmeauxdeaux

Upvote 0
I am 57 years old. My grandfather, long departed, gave me that nickname when I was 5 years old except we spelled it gizmeauxdeaux--Cajun French. I shortened it when signing actual handwritten letters to my grandparents through the years. Yes I wrote with a pen and my hand-on paper no less:D. Gizmodo.com came along quite a bit later I believe. Though I work for Microsoft, my field is software--not cell phones. And if I get the wrong phone, I will hear about it for 2 years from my tech-challenged wife;)
So, I apologize if my screen name is somehow troubling to you. Might I suggest you get a girlfriend..or at least, watch The Big Bang Theory:D

Sincerely,

Gizmeauxdeaux (there, feel better?)
Great response. This is the only forum where i really have to say the moderators must be very young or just have serious issues. how dare someone comment on your name. of course when someone attacks you you have to be defensive that is the definition of the word. you handled it great my friend.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones