1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hero Running out of Space

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TravelDave, Sep 5, 2011.

1. TravelDave

TravelDave Newbie
    None

May 4, 2010
    So I'm constantly fighting with my Hero over space limitations. Looking for some thoughts on freeing up some space...

It's rooted, but I've never flashed a new ROM, so it's still running the stock Sense 2.1. After a little work, I've gotten it back up to almost 14MB on the internal storage. The SD card still has 6.5 GB out of 7.6 GB free.

If I look at "Manage Applications", the largest item is "Dialer Storage" at 14.23MB. I tried clearing my Call History to bring it down, but that didn't change anything. I haven't seen any other options for shrinking that.

The other one that looks weird is "com.htc.socialnetwork.prov" at 3.9MB. That does have an option to clear it out, but I'm not sure what it is.

Thinking I can clear off the Facebook app and free up 9MB.

Contacts Storage is 5.8MB

Otherwise, there are some big apps taking up a bunch of space, but I kind of like the apps. They are:
    Telenav GPS 14MB
    Evernote - 8.3MB
    Kayak - 8.05MB
    Handcent 5.7MB
    Google Voice - 5.23MB
    Movies - 3.9MB
    Weather Channel - 3.8MB
    Google Maps (old version) - 3.35MB
    Astro - 3MB
    Internet - 3MB
    etc, etc

I've heard that App2SD is not a good option. Any other thoughts on getting some space back on this pathetic phone? Still have 8 months to go before I'm eligible for an upgrade.

Thanks,
    Dave

Advertisement

2. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    Group Sales Associate/Front Desk Clerk
    Washington (state)
    Flash the CM7.1 ROM and then move all your apps over to the SD. It will free up much space for you and it works just fine. The only ones you really can't transfer are the "core" apps, like gmail and g maps and such. The only way this is a "bad" idea is if you are completely hooked on Sense and not willing to try out something new.

3. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert
    None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Moving thread to root section. I agree with KitsapAndroid about the CyanogenMod 7.1 ROM.

Any ROM with Android 2.2 and above would be good since they can move apps to the micro SD card. The AOSP and CyanogenMod ROMs also tend to use quite a bit less internal memory than HTC Sense ROMs, so you get a bump in space anyway by using them.

4. TravelDave

TravelDave Newbie
    None

May 4, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. Is the CM7.1 a better ROM to flash than AOSP? Definitely not averse to flashing a new ROM and trying something different. Just haven't had the time to think about it or do it.

Will I still be able to sync my calendar and contacts to Outlook using HTC Sync?

5. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Android Enthusiast
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    Group Sales Associate/Front Desk Clerk
    Washington (state)
    Personally, I feel that the CM 7.1 ROM is a more polished ROM thatn the Aosp one. Both will work, but after using both, I have stuck with CM 7.1 due to less problems overall. As for syncing with Outlook via HTC sync, I have no idea. I have never used it before. My calendar and contacts are already backed up through my gmail, so I just don't see the need. Plus, I don't use Outlook. :)

6. dan18ny

dan18ny Newbie
    None

Dec 7, 2010
    Would freeing up internal memory speed up your phone?? Or I guess I should say would having almost no internal space slow down your phone???

7. LBPHeretic

None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    Yes, it can slow it down some. It does not have a huge effect on performance, but it can probably be perceived if you know what your handset's performance is usually like.

The other thing that happens is that you get warnings about being low on internal space. So, freeing up internal memory is a good idea.

8. jbraden

jbraden Member
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Texas
    What can I do if I'm running LiquidSense 1.1 and my phone is not recognized by my computer and the SD card is too much for my computer? Is there websites that have ROM's with QR images?

9. LBPHeretic

None

May 29, 2010
    Senior Software Engineer
    Wilmington, Delaware
    I am not entirely sure what you mean when you say that your microSD card is too much for your computer. Maybe you could explain that a little more?

You can technically download ROMs directly from your handset's web browser. Just Google a ROM you want and download the .zip file.

10. tripdoc79

tripdoc79 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 24, 2011
    i flashed dts a2sd beta 4 on my girls hero months ago, partitioned her sd for 512 mb.. she hasnt had any issues and everythiong runs great on it.. just my 2 cents

Tags: