• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero Screen Protectors

It's my understanding that ZAGG, producers of Invisible Shield, can make one for you if you supply them with the dimensions etc. That is if they don't do one already.

I can highly recommend this product as i have used it on all my phones.

They make it, I got it, be careful applying the screen, mine is all jacked up because of being careless, it still looks ok but could be a lot better. ZAGG is so far the only protector I've put on my phone and then forgotten about it until I noticed it on there when I was getting rid of the phone.
Seriously, it's that good.

Upvote 0
I got the ZAGG protector for the Hero it cost 20.00 at Best Buy and i paid 7.00 for them to install it. I know the price of install is crazy but at least it is on correctly.

I'm the exact opposite, paid $15 on Ebay, had my co-worker install it because she's usually pretty good at stuff like that but it is completely messed up.

The good thing is, you probably can't install it worse than I did (I really should get another it's so bad) and I am dealing with it because with the screen on you can't see the marks I left on the protector, and it doesn't affect the usage at all as far as I can tell. And no matter how hard you scratch at the thing, you can only mark up the protector, and they warranty the thing even!

Upvote 0
I have one on my hero, it your not carefull and have some sticky side showing it traps a lot of lint from your pocket. :(

But I wondering if you can reapply it?

1. From my experience in trying to get it off, it seems like they are one-use only. BUT, you may be able to get a replacement from ZAGG and take it off carefully with their instructions and get a brand-new one on.

2. I too had trouble applying (one issue being that this screen is MUCH bigger than the BB's I was used to applying them to) and I had mine crooked with the sticky part showing. I lifted it up (this was not long after applying, may be more difficult now) and I cut a strip off the side, worked fine. It will probably be better to cut off some of the part covering the screen rather than to have the sticky part exposed. That's JMO though.

Upvote 0
One word "BoxWave" Hero Screen Protectors & Covers / Hero Protection / Sprint Hero Screen Protectors & Covers / Sprint Hero Protection you have a choice of non glare (matte) and crystal clear. They are silicon backed, go on without moisture, can be removed, washed, and reinstalled. They are smoooooth to the touch, nice for touch screen. Absolutely worth the price. I have the matte, and wouldn't trade for anything else.

I have had Zagg, they are ok, but are too thick, tend to show orange peel, and feel rubbery. Not the best for touch screen, IMHO. If you want a "permanent" stick on, try Phantom Skinz.

Upvote 0
i use ghost armor. used it on both my blackberries, and a few other products. it's great and they have a great warranty. but unfortunately it's only available here in arizona as the company is from here, and doing "beta" on it. i love it and no orange peal effect i hear other products have. but i could be wrong on that since i only use that one. you might be able to order though ghost armor

Upvote 0
I had the PhantomSkinz screen protector on my Pre and absolutely loved it. Much better quality than the Zagg ones. I've got a set on order for my Hero as we speak. They're dirt cheap too.

I also use Phantomskinz on my Pre and my Hero. It's much less grippy than the Invisibleshield and cheap too. Two skins come in every pack. I just got a pack for $7 shipped with the sale they're having now. I've become a pro at putting these on. It's great.

Upvote 0
I have a Phantom Skinz full set on my Hero minus the screen protector. From all the research I did, and there are a ton of write ups out there, the ZAGG has the most orange peel look and is the tackiest to touch. It is very durable though. Boxwave and Phantom Skinz are the smoothest in terms of finish and absence of orange peel.

I can tell you that the Phantom product is well priced since you get two sets per kit and it is very shiny and smooth. There is still a little orange peel but not nearly as much as with ZAGG. Application was easy but the rounded corners are hard to get total adhesion.

I did not put on the screen protector. I decided to run without one because of the slickness of the original screen and the way it resists fingerprints. I have read that the Hero screen is glass and is therefore more resistant to scratches. I am just careful with my Hero and do not put it in pockets with keys or coins and it has been fine.

Upvote 0
I bought a mirror screen protector for mine and it looks pretty cool, even though I did get 1 little spec of something in it, I can diffinately live with it. When the phone if off or in standby, it looks just like a mirror. When you power it up or wake it up, you can see right through it. Paid $2.98 for it with shipping. Was the best deal by far. Also bought a blue gel soft cover for it for $5.29 with shipping as well. Looks like a totally different phone I must say and it gets alot of attention with my friends.

I bought the mirror from a person named "luxuarycellwireless" on ebay
I bought my skin from "wannashopping" on ebay

Upvote 0
One word "BoxWave" Hero Screen Protectors & Covers / Hero Protection / Sprint Hero Screen Protectors & Covers / Sprint Hero Protection you have a choice of non glare (matte) and crystal clear. They are silicon backed, go on without moisture, can be removed, washed, and reinstalled. They are smoooooth to the touch, nice for touch screen. Absolutely worth the price. I have the matte, and wouldn't trade for anything else.

I have had Zagg, they are ok, but are too thick, tend to show orange peel, and feel rubbery. Not the best for touch screen, IMHO. If you want a "permanent" stick on, try Phantom Skinz.

I can't decide between the crystal clear and the anti-glare. How much does the matte affect the color/clarity of the screen?

Reactions: salb222
Upvote 0

I'm planning on getting the Boxwave Crystal Clears which I had used on my previous phone (which was an original Sprint HTC Touch). They come single or three to a pack (3-pack is about $27, but I'm sure you can find it cheaper). They last a good long time, can be removed and even cleaned and re-applied, and are customed designed for the Hero and other phones. I liked the crystal clear since I want the highest clarity regardless of reflection from sun and/or other light sources. Also not that difficult to apply---just follow the directions and be patient and careful.

I'm also going to use clear eGrips (eGrips.com) in strips down the sides of the back cover of my Hero. That way I don't have to worry about it slipping out of my hand. I also used these on previous phones (landline phones too) as they work really well AND can be removed if you don't like 'em.

Not sure I want a case per se, but then again, even if I drop it, I've got BestBuy's insurance just in case (yeah $10/month but I saved lots when I downgraded my plan usage to a low monthly cost---didn't need all the minutes I thought I did---so I'm still paying less than I did before, even with the insurance).

Upvote 0
I love Skinomi. It's about $10 on Amazon and it's amazing. It takes quite a bit of care to put it on correctly but it lasts a long time and it comes with a helpful kit. You can get one for either just the screen or a full body. Also, it has a UV coating on it so it won't yellow over time (then again, how many people go tanning with their phones?) Oh, and did I mention it comes with lifetime replacements?

Upvote 0
I paid $20 at Best Buy for my Zagg and got them to install for free. I haven't had any problems, but only had it for less than 3 weeks. Looks great, i don;t see any orange peel, although it does feel a little thick. I expect it probably reduces the sensitivity but I haven't used without so I have nothing to compare against.

Upvote 0

I agree. I purchased a BoxWave protector and am very happy with it. Very smooth to the touch, and no bubbles. I have the matte as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones