• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hero v Pre: Round 1

If a program is open but sleeping and doesn't draw battery power, and quits as soon as an active app needs the memory it is reserving, why the fascination with app killers. I could see it on Palm's WebOS and the Windoze Mobile, but the Android is a different animal. You really only need to kill the resource hog programs that don't play well. I never kill the programs and I can get 34hrs on one charge on my Hero with a custom ROM, Gumbo kernel and Overclock .

Upvote 0
If a program is open but sleeping and doesn't draw battery power, and quits as soon as an active app needs the memory it is reserving, why the fascination with app killers. I could see it on Palm's WebOS and the Windoze Mobile, but the Android is a different animal. You really only need to kill the resource hog programs that don't play well. I never kill the programs and I can get 34hrs on one charge on my Hero with a custom ROM, Gumbo kernel and Overclock .

I don't have a "fascination" with app killers, but when I see that upon startup there are 10 - 15 applications opened I would think that many of the resources are being used as well. When I kill all open apps, it frees up as much as 30% - 40% of the memory. As far as getting 34 hours out of a single charge, you must have the most efficient battery known to mankind. I have the huge extended battery and can only get 36 - 48 hours out of a charge. I also notice that if I charge it to less than 100%, it drops very rapidly. Not sure if the battery meter is off or what the deal is. I just rooted it today and flashed a new ROM, but haven't updated the kernel yet. Hopefully this will help. I am also going to remove the app killer and see how it effects my battery life and resources.

Upvote 0
I had the pre when we switched over to sprint. WebOS is fantastic. I really loved it. However, the build quality was absolutely terrible. I did experience the oreo effect, and the phone creaked (loudly). It creaked when I opened it. It creaked when I texted. It creaked if it was in my pocket and I shifted my weight.

My wife and I aren't people who are going to buy a new phone mid-contract or switch carriers, and I felt like I was going to spend 2 years worryng about the thing breaking or exchanging for a new one every month, so I took it back after a week and got a Hero.

I the hero much better. WebOS is slicker than android, but Sense UI does a pretty good job compensating. I haven't noticed a significant difference in battery life. Both phones make it through the day but need a charge at night.

Apps for Pre might have been a little more polished, but there weren't nearly as many. I also like the high level of customization with the Hero, even more so now than it's rooted.

If the build quality was similar, it's probably personal preference, more software polish (pre) vs. more software choices and customization (hero). But build quality isn't even close, so I'd go with the Hero. I really like it.

Upvote 0
the other forum you speak of can be kind of harsh. I can tell you first hand that all your gonna get it pre better. I did notice a little of a slump for a while when the hero dropped, so it is the best competition on sprints level.

Also there is no phone that can completley K.O another smartphone because there is always something the other phone will do better. If I could have the desire by htc.... I would drop both like a hot potatoe.

I have to agree, the Precentral forums are nothing but "I love Pre and if you don't agree well you're wrong. If your Pre has issues its your fault".

I own both and I think it amounts to your desires, needs, and purpose with your phone. I love the multitasking on the Pre. For work, I can locate information much quicker than on the Hero. Not that the Hero is all that slow, just that the Pre allows me to do some things quicker.

The browser on the Pre is better as well IMO. Same with the camera photo quality. The major winner with the camera tho is the Hero. The quality of Pics on the Pre is better, but there is no zoom which to me makes no sense. Th Hero has decent quality and with the zoom beats the Pre for me.

The Hero has more apps. However, if youre into 3D games then the Pre is for you. If you need more choice in apps, then the Hero wins.

When it comes to typing, it depends what you prefer. I love the keyboard on the Pre, not all that into on screen keyboards. The Hero's keyboard takes time to get used to, but once you do its good.

There are plenty of hardware issues with the Pre. I havent personally had the oreo issue, but many have. The hardware could definetely be better. the Hero wins here.

Its hard to say which has the better UI. Depends on your personal preference. I love both. I must say that I find myself constantly playing with my Hero just to play with it. Same with the Pre, but not as much as the Hero.

I dont know the specs, but my Pre seems to have better screen resolution than the Hero.

IMO, both phones are great. However, you need to try both to get a good feel. I cant wait for 2.1 on the Hero, and I cant wait for 1.4 on the Pre. I'm more excited for the Hero update tho.

Upvote 0
Wow I checked precentral out of curiosity if the OP posted there as well (guess not?). You guys are right that forum cant take any criticism. Even though I have few posts I have been reading these forums alot lately and am glad this forum is not like that. They must really have a reason to get defensive. I saw someone say "Great OS, Bad phone" and he explained that he loved the phone but was on his second and is already having problems with build quality. Two replys down "you dont deserve the phone" lol wow.

Upvote 0
Wow I checked precentral out of curiosity if the OP posted there as well (guess not?). You guys are right that forum cant take any criticism. Even though I have few posts I have been reading these forums alot lately and am glad this forum is not like that. They must really have a reason to get defensive. I saw someone say "Great OS, Bad phone" and he explained that he loved the phone but was on his second and is already having problems with build quality. Two replys down "you dont deserve the phone" lol wow.

No joke! And apparently any negative comments about the Pre are moved to a seperate thread pronto!

Upvote 0

To be fair there are a lot of hero fanboys here as well who act as if you are insulting their mother if you say something bad about the hero. But on this forum I have not seen negative posts about the hero moved.

Upvote 0
First time in this forum :) total noob lol.
but anyhow, i have an htc hero and my fiance has a pre.

starting with the hero, it has a great build, stock cam app is so so, UI is excellent (having made the switch from WM, specifically htc touch pro), multitasking isn't so great but still exists in the hero (which works for me)....hm, on-screen keyboard is an acquired taste IMO (i really miss the full qwerty keyboard on touch pro) but is not bad at all... i love the hero's glass front, which is excellently scratch-proof (so far that i know)... apps, of course, are pretty good but that's sadly one of the main focuses on the hero... i especially love how much the hero is customizable to fit your style...

some bad points with the hero, though, are the following: the headphone jack caused a major problem in my phone (i had to actually perform a hard reset because my phone was stuck in headset mode, even when nothing was plugged into the jack. luckily, a hard reset fixed the issue)... the "multitasking" is unlike the pre or touch pro, which was inconvenient, but it still does the job of going back to recently opened apps, so that's wonderful :) .... games can't be saved onto memory cards yet, which limits the user memory-wise.... that's all i can think of right now, but i still love my hero! can't wait for the update :)

now, about the pre, i love how it has cards for multitasking, its multi-touch capabilities are awesome, the flash works great, its build is compact and great for carrying around in your pocket, the keyboard isn't too bad; i love the games that came out recently, they work beautifully :)

however, with the pre, i hate how easily it would chip and scratch without an invisishield of some sort, the keyboard is uncomfortable to use due to its size being compact, the screen is smaller than i like, i've experienced lagging more than a few times (both phones lag anyways, so meh), but other than those reasons, it's still a great phone :D

Upvote 0
To be fair there are a lot of hero fanboys here as well who act as if you are insulting their mother if you say something bad about the hero. But on this forum I have not seen negative posts about the hero moved.

I think that is too be expected to a point, but I see plenty of threads where negatives are pointed out and the posters post fixes, or it doesnt apply to them or agree with the negatives. In the pre forum (actually a thread that the mods move all negatives posts too) it wasnt even in the same class.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones