• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help hero vs moment?

I have had the Hero for almost a month now and tried the Moment for about an hour(friends).
Only major difference I see is of course the Moment has a faster processor, but I haven't seen as much of a difference as I hoped over the Hero, possibility 1.5 hasn't been optimized fully for the Moment? I don't notice a whole lot of lag/sluggish performance from the Hero to begin with, but the Moment seemed a bit faster at opening apps, so that is a plus.
The screen is higher quality but the blue tint thing kind of turns me off.
And of course the hardware keyboard is much nicer than the other slide outs Sprint has, but it is a little bulky which is something nearly every phone of that style is. As far as a touchscreen/keyboard phone goes I like it a lot more than the TP2.
Moment boots faster just being a stock android, I don't see how that would factor into any decision though personally lol?
7 screens vs 3, Idk how anyone can say that 7 screens is too much, I've nearly filled all 7 of apps I use, but I like being able to just swipe to it, so maybe that's just me?
Got 9 days left to switch and I'm still on the fence myself lol, I like the way I got everything set up right now, the Moment is nice and if it came out first I'd probably pick it, but it's a little too big for my pockets(darn skinny jeans!) I like the look of the Hero a bit more, not sure if it was the one I tried but I had problems with the Moment's trackpad, but I will say pics/webpages/videos just flat out look better on the Moment and that's a big plus to me also.
Hopefully Samsung will make full use of the faster processor but right now it doesn't seem to be working at full speed(at least the one I tried), anyone been able to clock the speed?

Upvote 0
I came from the palm pre to the hero. I had the hero for almost 3 weeks. I liked the phone, but it was very hard to get used to typing on the virtual keyboard. I like all the programs that was available from the android platform.
I made the switch 2 days ago to the moment. I feel it is alot faster. some people say they don't notice, I do.
The keyboard has worked ok for me. I still wonder who tests these phones before they come out on the market.
The biggest concern is the battery life is terrible. It's worse than the HTC touch pro, if anyone lived that nightmare.
I've tried turning things off, resetting the phone. Nothing seems to work. You can take this phone of the charger and it drops to 50% in less than a hour. It's unreal.
Well I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe go back to the pre until something else comes along.

Upvote 0
I got to do some beta testing in the past and companies seemed to listen to feedback. Unfortunately, the hardware designs weren't really an area they took a lot of feedback. They seemed to be more set in stone. So maybe it's just their small design group who have these ideas in their head of what's good and what isn't. Unfortunately, what one person thinks is great, someone else hates. Just the nature of the beast.

Personally, I'd be happier without the separate number row up top in favor of better, larger keys and a more traditional layout of the bottom row with the spacebar below the letter keys and a few functionality buttons to the left and right of them. Have a function key that makes use of a number pad layout on the right side with the uiohjkbnm keys or something to that effect. I'd rather see a better keypad for typing as opposed to cramming full numbers in there and compromise on the design of the spacebar area. The point of these horizontal sliders is a better typing experience over portrait and on screen keyboards. So confusing layouts just baffle me. And you don't have to cram the top row so close to the bottom edge of the top part.

Upvote 0
I didn't know it was possible to be worse than the touch pro when it comes to battery life. If it is, then I am glad I didn't go with the Moment. I am a scarred survivor of the touch pro battery "wars".

Thats how mine has acted for 2 days. I'm now looking at what I should go to now. Maybe a BB tour. I don't know.
But battery life is a deal breaker for sure.

Upvote 0
I played with the Moment AGAIN today. The guys a the Sprint store laugh when I come in now. I really like the moment. I want a HW keyboard that it has. One thing though,,,and maybe it was the model I had....but when swiping from one screen to the other the moment lagged alot ....sometimes would not swipe even after 4 or 5 tries. The Hero that I have swipes with very little effort. Its sooo smooth. So my question is this. Does anyone else notice this ?? Im thinking it could be the phone I was using but I wanted to put it to you guys.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Mine takes a little more effort than the Hero, but never "lags". One thing to be said thou, Sense UI has worked it so that moving screens it is very smooth. It almost gives the illusion that the phone itself is smooth... but it's not.

After a day and really getting into Hero, you'll see that it lags everywhere else. Where the Moment really shines, is that it doesn't lag everywhere else...

Also when there are several apps running, the Hero will really bog down, enough so that even switching screens becomes laborious

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. I'll go to another store and try a different one. (moment). I'm still on the fence though. Not sure which one I'll end up with. I have until the 16th of Nov to make a final choice.

After just texting with the Hero....and getting pissed about the corrections....I think I just may have made a decision.

But there is still a few weeks for me to change my mind a few dozen more times.

Upvote 0
Hopefully Samsung will make full use of the faster processor but right now it doesn't seem to be working at full speed(at least the one I tried), anyone been able to clock the speed?

What do you expect out of a faster processor? Better loading times, video quality, and less lag from overload of apps (waiting for stuff to happen when a bunch of stuff is open, very bad on Hero) is stuff a faster processor will handle.

As for the swiping issues, I'm sure they are purely Android related and are worked around by HTC's senseUI. My hunch is that Android will become huge, and that Google will continue to put a lot of effort into it. Anything Google is working on is bound to be flawless in the end, give them some time to work out the kinks. Unlike HTC they are developing their interface to be usable on any phone, bit tougher.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You have to remember that each of these reviews are ultimately subjective. Where you have one reviewer criticizing the screen, I can point you to almost half a dozen reviewers who say the Moment's "screen is beautiful" or "gorgeous".

Samsung Moment (Sprint) - A Review of the Samsung Moment (Sprint)
Samsung Moment Review
Samsung Moment Reviews (Phone Scoop)
Samsung Moment Review - SlashGear

Myself, I went into a Sprint store and looked at the screen and thought, "Yeah, it's nice." But did it wow me like the first time I ever looked at a flat screen TV? Or did I think it was leaps and bounds better than the Hero? No. But at the same time, I guess I've just grown used to expecting a lot from technology... especially knowing that by tomorrow, they'll announce something better.

Anyways, I figure it will be a good phone for the next year until the upgrade bug comes knocking and I need the next "latest and greatest 'cause they made something better" fix comes around. Because of that, there's really no point in waiting. Something better will always be around the corner. :cool:

Upvote 0
I played with the Moment AGAIN today. The guys a the Sprint store laugh when I come in now. I really like the moment. I want a HW keyboard that it has. One thing though,,,and maybe it was the model I had....but when swiping from one screen to the other the moment lagged alot ....sometimes would not swipe even after 4 or 5 tries. The Hero that I have swipes with very little effort. Its sooo smooth. So my question is this. Does anyone else notice this ?? Im thinking it could be the phone I was using but I wanted to put it to you guys.

Thanks

I find that mine lags too. I make sure everything is shut down and I still see the lag. not bad but it is there kind of skipping if you will.

the Hero I have seems smoother if everthing is shut down.

Upvote 0
My point exactly. I used it again today and the only time I noticed the moment was significantly more responsive was keyboard input specifically texting. Which to me seems to be a bit disappointing considering the spec differences. Maybe I was expecting too much?
If you really want to see the Moment shine, open any application that requires 3D rendering; games, nav apps, augmented reality, etc. Even 2D games like Slimeball Speedway Lite are much smoother and much more responsive than on Hero.

Just trying to create a constructive conversation here, I know some of you are avid Hero fans. I am not trying to get into an argument.

Took out that last part, as quentinfisher is correct. This is the Hero vs. Moment thread...

Carry on... nothing to see here...

Upvote 0
I believe I complimented the moment on various aspects in where I compared the two so judging from your post you seem to be the one looking for a argument. I'm simply stating a fact, I admittedly do not know much about cell phone tech, but in a computer a 528mhz processor would be noticeably slower compared to a 800mhz one, based on that I was expecting the hero to look really bad next to the moment. I'm not a fanboy, I'm a consumer trying to the most bang for my money, and this is a hero vs moment thread what do you expect to be posted here? ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones