• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hero Won't Recognise USB Connection! HELP!

Longman240

Lurker
Feb 28, 2010
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a problem. Since I updated my Hero from 1.5 to 2.1 it doesn't realise that I've connected it to a PC and just charges as it would if it was plugged into the wall, I've tried all the USB ports with the same result and I've uninstalled/reinstalled HTC Sync, does anyone know how I can get my phone to recognise a USB connection?
Thanks
LM240

EDIT: Had a read through some other posts and found a solution, now this bit is technical so get ready: you have to pull out the battery whilst the phone is on then switch it back on, reconnect the cable et voila, it works like a dream.
All credit to Dem, hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Hey mate,

Getting the exact same problem but that fix didn't work :(. I'm worried whether it's water damage from using it in the rain yesterday as it has stopped working since. Same thing. Orange light coming on but not connecting. Tried on two computers (Win 7 and Ubuntu) which worked only the day before and got no joy! I'm leaving the country for a week tomorrow and really need to find a solution ASAP. Did you hear about any other possible fixes?

Upvote 0
I am still getting this problem and have exhausted all options that I have read.
May have found your problem, if you use a task killer you may be accidentally killing the 'com.htc.bg(p)' processes, these are responsible for making the phone realise that it has a USB connected to it. Try disabling your task killer and then plugging it in.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones