• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hey I downloaded FRG22-DEODEXED-Release.zip

I may be wrong but odexed and deodexed does not mean rooted or non rooted. It means that certain packages are not there. You will notice on Peter's site he has the OTAs since how they come as patches. The Odexed file is a rooted rom with full packages like stock. DeOdexed has some files out of it to do some other things I also hear a DeOdexed has a greater chance of bricking a phone forcing someone to use the sbf files one Peter's site.

Upvote 0
DeOdexed is "unpacked" and allows more access to idividual files for things like themeing Odexed is packed up like a normal install but still gives root access

Which may explain why we can't run it. Last week ew installed FRG01b with the long name voles-signed, etc., which may be the "real" stock unrooted. The FRG22's floating around odexed and deodexed may both be rooted, hence they won't overly FRG01b.

Strife - did I read earlier that you are on FRG22? If so, how did you do it? What file, what site, etc., from what version?

Upvote 0
I may be wrong but odexed and deodexed does not mean rooted or non rooted. It means that certain packages are not there. You will notice on Peter's site he has the OTAs since how they come as patches. The Odexed file is a rooted rom with full packages like stock. DeOdexed has some files out of it to do some other things I also hear a DeOdexed has a greater chance of bricking a phone forcing someone to use the sbf files one Peter's site.

DeOdexed is "unpacked" and allows more access to idividual files for things like themeing Odexed is packed up like a normal install but still gives root access

While that is the literal definition, in Pete's case, when he deodexed the file he also added root to it. Nothing more - no busybox, etc.

Which may explain why we can't run it. Last week ew installed FRG01b with the long name voles-signed, etc., which may be the "real" stock unrooted. The FRG22's floating around odexed and deodexed may both be rooted, hence they won't overly FRG01b.

Strife - did I read earlier that you are on FRG22? If so, how did you do it? What file, what site, etc., from what version?

No, the odexed is not rooted. And being rooted will not prevent you from running it - when you flash the ROM over your existing one it replaces it - so even if it is rooted it comes with the ROM, so it is not going to affect you after the reboot - you'll be rooted or not rooted.

I just updated to FRG01b...... in the process of rebooting now.

cant run some apps now, like Beautiful Home. :(

And the Market doesnt run.

I have run the old FRG01B ROMs as well as the OTA I got last night and haven't had an issue with apps.

The file I got last night replaces all of \System on the phone, but does not touch \Data and \Cache. A lot of people are reporting success with manually wiping Data and Cache when in recovery, or else performing a Factory reset when booted into FroYo, and then re-setting up the phone from scratch. And, TBH, that is really what you should be doing.

Although not as drastic of a change, this still illustrates the point - all your apps were installed under a previous OS (think XP) and now you've replaced the OS without reinstalling your Apps (7). incompatibilities are bound to exist, as some apps install different components and / or in different ways depending upon the OS installed.

Your best bet is to wipe and reinstall. Then you can say what works and what does not work and be more accurate.

Right now there are too many variables that could be attributing to why you are having issues.

Upvote 0
While that is the literal definition, in Pete's case, when he deodexed the file he also added root to it. Nothing more - no busybox, etc.

No, the odexed is not rooted. And being rooted will not prevent you from running it - when you flash the ROM over your existing one it replaces it - so even if it is rooted it comes with the ROM, so it is not going to affect you after the reboot - you'll be rooted or not rooted.

So, I have FRG01b uploaded using Trident's instructions last week. Is there a manual path to FRG22 or should I just sit tight and wait for VZ to update to whatever they'll update to next?

ntw - does anyone know why we haven't heard from Trident or OMJ on this issue? They were quite active last week when we first got FRG01b

Upvote 0
Actually, the stock recovery also allows for use of the file - it needs to be named Update.zip and placed on the root of the SDCard like SPRecovery requires it to be, but other than that...

I was just asking if they had done it or not, not requiring it.

No, I had not done anything with SPRecovery. Downloaded the file, renamed to update.zip, and tried the X on power on, then vol up and camera button, then allow or install update.zip and got the sig verification failed. The process I used was the EXACT same as I did with FRG01b, except with a different file.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones