• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HEY YOU!! Thinking about a Factory Reset??? READ this first!!!! [Exit Recovery D/L inside]

Fuzzy13

Extreme Android User
Dec 8, 2011
A-T-L-A-N-T-A
Follow these steps for a successful factory reset.

Step 1

Make sure.......that you are sure........that you are positive.........you want to do this.

STEP 2

Oh......What's this? Settings. Privacy. Factory Reset. Well that was easy enough to find huh?

**STOP RIGHT THERE**
before you start a global thermonuclear war!!!!!

---DON'T do factory resets through the settings menu on the phone if you are rooted and have CWM(Recovery) Flashed!!!!!!----

Do you understand that? Repeat after me so i know you understand!

I,____________, Will NOT do a factory reset through Settings/Privacy ever again on my Rooted/Recovery Flashed Lg-Esteem.

STEP 3

You know that little thing called ClockworkMod that you flashed through ROM Manager to Install, backup, restore, etc.......?

Well that little option called Wipe data/Factory Reset is the same as doing it in the settings menu except you won't get SCREWED in the process.

**NOTE**

Wiping data and factory resetting when you have a custom ROM installed will reset the ROM you have flashed. It WONT flash the stock OEM Rom that comes with the phone.

TIP

Make sure you have FLASHED Cwm through ROM Manager before using the (Power+Vol/UP&DOWN) combo. Obviously if you try this and you DONT have CWM installed where is it going to go? To hell that's where. Pull your battery about 5 times until a higher power decides you worthy of having your phone back again, throw salt over your left shoulder, send out three smoke signals, do 5 jumping jacks, take 2 Advil, wave at a squirrel outside until he waves back and eventually your phone will boot as normal. **The last step is very important. If the squirrel doesn't wave back then it wont work and you will have to start all over.

STEP 4

Thank me for saving you from a migraine. :D

Seriously! Thank me o_O

I'm not kidding. I will find you. I will invoke Satan to empty your post count and replenish mine. After I take your soul first of course.

**EXIT RECOVERY**

IF you did do the unthinkable and reset your phone through the settings menu, put this on your SD card and LEAVE IT THERE while you own your esteem.

Download
Zippyshare.com - exitrecovery.zip

Flash it through recovery and you will be good to go.

Once the phone boots
Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done. Let out a sigh of relief because your Daddy and Uncle Fuzzy just saved your buttocks. When you think you can play well with others and NEVER reset through the settings menu, you can come back out and play. Make the same mistake twice and you have no idea what kind of hell will be bestowed upon you. :D

Your delusional local AF resident,

Fuzzels

Haha that was funny bro actually I can relate to that I did it the wrong way and I freak out phone went into cwm but thanks to our great community I was able to survive through the night lol good explanation :thumbup:

Hahaha. That's what we are here for. To help each other. We have all made mistakes at some point, hell that's the ONLY way to learn.

With the rapid influx of new guys I figured it wouldn't hurt. ;)

Upvote 0
You should add if you are only rooted (no cwr or rzr) do NOT try to do a factory reset via the button combo...I actually did do this one. I forgot I only rooted my other esteem thats on ZVC and didnt install CWR and the button combo will send you into a stock recovery boot loop. I forgot how I got out of it tho. Think I just kept pulling the battery and putting it back in till it booted normal

Reactions: edimmu
Upvote 0
You should add if you are only rooted (no cwr or rzr) do NOT try to do a factory reset via the button combo...I actually did do this one. I forgot I only rooted my other esteem thats on ZVC and didnt install CWR and the button combo will send you into a stock recovery boot loop. I forgot how I got out of it tho. Think I just kept pulling the battery and putting it back in till it booted normal

Hahaha. I did the same thing one time and I thought I was royally screwed. I got so scared and realized what I did as SOON as I did. I just shook my head and said I deserve whatever is about to happen to me. hahaha.

Reactions: discua8
Upvote 0
That's how I learned not to lol, I tried to factory reset and I actually DID screw my phone up lol, did hundreds of battery pulls :D Nothing worked, so I went through the living hell that is setting up lgnpst and putting stock back on, breaking it again (somehow I was stupid enough to do it a second time because I forgot I was completely stock and I tried to flash Gingersteem extreme... didn't end to well lol, took me awhile to set it back up) after months of lurking, I decided to make an account! Then went premium! That, my fellow esteemers, is the story of my account XD

Upvote 0
I'm going to ask stupid questions now. =)

1. What if you have ROM Toolbox and you don't have ROM Manager?
2. If you flashed a ROM and you don't see CWM in your apps list... then what?
Do you install it and then do the whole volume up/down power thing to flash it again?
Would that not reset your phone???

Trying to think of more questions here..

Upvote 0
I'm going to ask stupid questions now. =)

1. What if you have ROM Toolbox and you don't have ROM Manager?
2. If you flashed a ROM and you don't see CWM in your apps list... then what?
Do you install it and then do the whole volume up/down power thing to flash it again?
Would that not reset your phone???

Trying to think of more questions here..

Okay you lost me.

Start over but explain your questions better please :D

Upvote 0
Okay you lost me.

Start over but explain your questions better please :D

Damn I don't know how to lmao.

1. ROM Manager doesn't show up in the Apps list - now what?
2. Since it doesn't show up in the apps list and it doesn't appear to be downloaded on the phone, does that mean when you DO download it you have to flash it using the volume up/down and power keys on the phone?
3. If you DO flash CWM (using the volume up/down and power keys) will it wipe everything off of your phone and you'll have to start anew again (by anew I mean have to reroot etc)?

Does that make more sense Fuzzy?? :eek:

Upvote 0
Well if you haven't downloaded rom manager then you can do it from the play store and from there just open it up. It'll have an option called "Install recovery" select that and it will bring up a box that has phone names. Scroll till you see "LGE Esteem" select it and it should flash recovery for you. It also has an option to reboot into recovery, but its better to know how to do it manually too.
I would reboot into recovery first to make sure its flashed so that way you'll be confident in doing it manually. :D

Upvote 0
dont forget, while your in recovery.... BACK UP, do not leave cwm and boot back up until you do that!!! it may just save your a$$....

if you need help with the above posts.... maybe your best bet is to leave your phone untouched/stock....

and lurk, read, reply! theres not a single time i have been here, or the ascend threads, and havent learned something new about my phone

Reactions: Fuzzy13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones