1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hi all... Is the site being scraped???

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box & Feedback' started by Deleted User, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

This is odd. I've never heard of that being done before =/

I've moved this to the Suggestion Box & Feedback section so that Phases sees it.

3. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN

Check this one out.. Scrapes the article and comments..

http://www.smartphoneup.com/

4. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Web scraping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see it all the time when doing searches for things like device drivers. The Google list will often have them at the top, and when clicked you'll see a topic or paragraph title that is just about exactly what your Google entry was, but the content is lacking.

You have to move down the Google list, sometimes to the 2nd or 3rd page, to find the actual, non-scraped sites you're looking for.

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Yea... unfortunately web scraping happens all too often! :rolleyes:

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

It seems like all the articles there are from AF. What's the point of scraping? Is it to get traffic on their site?

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

From the wiki link:

"Uses of Web scraping include online price comparison, weather data monitoring, website change detection, Web research, Web content mashup and Web data integration."

It is also a way to build a data base on somebody else's work, and then, yes, garner huge page hit stats.

There have been lawsuits, arguments about the practice, even involving how the data is gathered (bot or copy-paste, etc).

8. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Went to that sites home page AND every story says 'originally posted by xxxxx' and that user name links back to AF. Weird indeed

9. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    VIP Member

Sure does. I just looked at it too. In a way that's good for AF because when people get directed here they could be thinking why be on that other site when they can register here and get all the answers they need.