1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Hi all

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Shotgun84, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

Just got my new s8 today. Almost didn't though as DPD delivered it to the wrong address and I had to go asking my neighbours if they had it. Luckily I've got honest neighbours. Anyways it's still new but loving it so far. After my little dabble into Sony phones I'd forgotten how easy Samsung's are to root. Within 5 minutes of opening it was rooted and doze mode, which caused me so many problems on my xperia was disabled. Think I've fallen in love with Android again :)

Mikestony and psionandy like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

congratulations on your new shiny thing :D

tube517, Shotgun84 and Mikestony like this.
  3. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Hey there bud! Long time, no see!
    Jelly of your new gadget though! Glad you're loving it so far ;)

Shotgun84 likes this.
  4. Shotgun84

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

psionandy and Mikestony like this.
  5. Shotgun84

Thanks. Yeah it's been too long. I've seen you've redecorated again. I don't like it :p:D Still finding my way round again. Where's the root section gone? :)

6. Mikestony

VIP Member

The root sections have been eliminated. They've been replaced by "Root" tags. Not fond of it either, makes it more difficult to find the root guides :(

tube517 and Shotgun84 like this.
  7. Shotgun84

Cool. Thanks. I'll keep my eyes out for those tags :)

Mikestony likes this.
  8. Shotgun84

Just noticed my first downside. The s8 has type c usb. What am I going to do with my 10 years of chargers and cables :thinking:

9. Mikestony

VIP Member

Anker makes a small adapter for that. I had the same issue with my old charger/cords...I'll get a link for you, make sure the adapter has the 56k ohm resistor built in..

Edit: here ya go:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHKYIRS/ref=psdc_3015402011_t1_B018S827GU

tube517 and Shotgun84 like this.
  10. Shotgun84

Mikestony likes this.
  11. Kayri

Kayri Lurker

I'm trying to decide whether to invest in type c cables, or just use adapters on my current micro usb cables. Do you think it's better to get a type c cable, or are these adapters working well enough for you? Thanks!

12. Mikestony

VIP Member

Well, I think the usb-c cable itself is more designed for the device that already has the usb-c connection as far as charging/data transfer.

You can still charge the device fine with the adapter, but not sure about the data transfer rate if using it as such.

The adapters work fine for me, and as I feel the need to replace my old cables, or find a good deal on the usb-c cable, I'd purchase the cable vs. the adapter.

13. Kayri

Kayri Lurker

Thanks for the input! Looking at the reviews for those adapters, it looks like they don't support fast charging or data transfer so I guess I'll go ahead and buy cables. I can still use my micro cables for my tablet, so they won't be wasted at least.

Not sure what you consider a good deal on a cable, but I found this nice-looking 6.6 ft Benson-approved cable for $7.99: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0197WDHF6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A3S7R90CD27V43&psc=1

Mikestony likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S8 release date was April 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.8" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

April 2017
Release Date
Reviews