• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hi from DC, & seeking advice

yourbk

Lurker
May 26, 2014
Howdy!

I've got a Note 2 (had Galaxy Nexus, Moto Droid as my last two phones) and looking to get a new phone soon.

I'm on Verizon in the US, grandfathered unlimited so I typically buy full retail :( but just heard about a way around that using another line's upgrade.

Anyhow I'm torn as to whether to get an s5, M8, wait for the Google Play edition perhaps, or wait for the Xperia Z2 (sp?) assuming it even comes to Verizon.

Any advice, and am I missing anything?

Thanks!!
bk

Hiya yourbk and welcome to Android forums!

The s5 and m8 both have "prime" editions coming out soon, those 2 are definitely devices to look into when they launch. I'm not familiar with the Xperia devices though. Sorry for that.

You could inquire in our device comparison forum though where other members will happily help you out :)

http://androidforums.com/device-carrier-comparisons/

Thanks for joining and cheers :)

Upvote 0
Which phone is best for you depends on what you want to do. Make calls, send and receive texts, get on the web, add a few apps? Almost any decent phone.

Install new ROMs? Stay way from Samsung and Verizon (or Samsung and AT&T) - those phones aren't just locked down, they're welded shut. (Although that DID give us Safestrap, so it wasn't a total loss.)

If you want to do anything more than just use the phone, I'd wait for the developer edition of whichever phone you decide on. Personally, since I use AT&T, I wouldn't touch another Samsung phone until they get out of bed with Corporate America. At least give us the option of a phone that isn't locked down (and can't be used as a BYOP in a large corporation, of course). I'm retired - I like playing with the firmware in my phone, and I'm the only company whose rules I have to follow. So no more "can't unlock the bootloader with TNT" phones for me. Hear that, Samsung? There are a lot of us out here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones