1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Hi guys :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Triprock, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Triprock

Triprock Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    NYC
    *stands up - waves hi - sits back down*

:D

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to the Android Forums.

Browse through the forums to find the area specific to your device, or tell us what you've got and we'll pint you in the right direction.

*Stands up - waves back - throws water balloon - runs*

Triprock likes this.
  3. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Welcome to Android Forums Triprock. Here is a link to an overview of the sub forums here. Just click in on anything that catches your eye and enjoy.

Triprock likes this.
  4. Triprock

Triprock Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks guys, I feel the love :D

I'm very new to all this, today I watched a YouTube video on how to root my phone because I want to get WiFi and low and behold, I followed his directions to the T but realized that updating my phone over this past weekend might have kept me from being successful. When I look at my Android software version, I see 2.3.3 and it looks a little different so I'm sure the update was successful. But, when I tried to Unrevoke it, I get the error "Error: failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?" So Im guessing I have to wait for them to crack/hack 2.3.3

*shrugs shoulders*

5. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    There is likely a root section for your device here at AF. You should be able to ask your questions there and get educated answers from a friendly bunch of users. Not knowing what device you are using I can only suggest following a link for your device.
    Once in that sub forum you will see at the top of that page a section just for root.
    I hope you can figure out what you can and can't do. If you have trouble locating that sub forum... just tell us what device you are using and we'll provide you a link.
    Have fun.

6. Triprock

Triprock Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    NYC
    My bad, I have an HTC EVO 4G - it's listed under my devices, or, at least I can see it there *scratches head*

7. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Not bad.. it keeps us guessing lol. Here is that link to the root section for the Evo 4g
    EVO 4G - All Things Root - Android Forums

Look around.. you might find what you are after. If not, please feel free to ask. Everyone likes to be of help around here. Our greatest asset is our users. Super glad you joined our ranks. Enjoy

Triprock likes this.
  8. yadavarun

yadavarun Lurker
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    You mean to say that Attention rolf.. :D

9. Triprock

Triprock Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    NYC
    ok, I was told to read read and read some more, my head is going to explode LOL :D I've been reading off and on since 6am and I think I'm getting more confused by the hour..

Is it true that upgrading to 2.3.3 was a bad idea because there isn't a root out yet? (am I saying that right)

Is waiting for the root (am I saying it right) better than downgrading to my old version? Then rooting THAT old version?

What is USB Debugging? I've searched but can't find a straight answer.

Thanks for any help..

10. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary

Mar 5, 2010
    Male
    space alien ;)
    Indy
    Awesome introduction! Short. Sweet. To the Point! Excellent :).

Welcome to AndroidForums!

Well, I'm not an Evo 4G guy, but I know that there's no direct root exploit for the Droid X's GingerBread. There is a GingerBreak (sic) root exploit app, but I don't know if it'll work for the Evo 4G. The link / sub-forum that olbriar provided should shed some light on this.

Oops...forgot the USB debugging question. USB debugging mode allows the adb server/daemon that runs on your phone to communicate with the adb client that runs on your PC. This is something you need when you do development or some of the more low-level operations on your phone. By the way, "adb" stands for the Android Debug Bridge.

Welcome again and good luck!

Triprock likes this.
  11. Triprock

Triprock Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    NYC
    ok, so today I was messing around (with my EVO 4G) and wanted to see this hboot in the bootloader, or the bootloader in the hboot *shrugs shoulders* and I held down the down volume button along with the power button. I got into it and looked around, I didn't do anything. Then I wanted to get out of it and reboot the phone and I think (if I can remember) I chose the option 'power down' or something to that effect. Well, the phone shut down and when I booted it up normally, it went into a Safe Mode thing. What is that? Is it normal? and, whats the correct choice to get out and power down the phone?
    Thanks in advance :D

12. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    Welcome back Triprock. Again, it is best to ask in the Evo 4g root area for every device and menus are different. I'm certain someone there will bring an answer forward. Enjoy and good luck

13. Triprock

Triprock Newbie
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    NYC
    ok thanks :)